Question Getting Various BSOD's

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Hello People of Tom's,

Since Saturday April 6th I have been getting blue screen of deaths including "system Service Exception", "Memory Management", "Critical Structure Corruption" and "Kernel Security Check Failure". These BSOD don't just happen when I turn my PC on but while I'm gaming. While gaming I usually have Discord, Spotify and Twitch open on my left screen and a game on my right screen (games include Fortnite, Hearthstone, Overwatch, R6 Siege). The BSOD's don't pop up right away but after an hour to a couple hours of gaming with the setup above. I am going to post my specs and mini dumps below. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

PS- If im missing stuff or posted wrong please let me know!

My System:
Intel i7-8700k (not overclocked)
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (ROG Strix A8G)
Corsair Vengence 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15
1 SunDisk SSD Plus 480GB (Windows Installed on this)
1 Samsung 860 evo 1TB SSD
1 WD 1TB HDD

If you need full specs/items -> https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dommer_/saved/cMGWD3

Here are the dumps:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_Rom8FVQJQK8_kErzXwHliTK4aBD7aN2

Got a couple more since- dumps below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cY8g3ZmzXVKegC8HGONWeV7Ij7v3bQ-0

Last edited:

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Now that you say this I did move the blue tooth adapter from the back of my PC (which was acting fine before) to a usb port on my headset stand (Corsair ST100). I felt that my controller was disconnecting while I was trying to play Brawlhalla so I tried to move it closer for better reception. Later in the day I got the BSOD issues so it is probably caused by the bluetooth adapter. I will do the suggestions above once I get home, I'm at work currently.

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I just uninstalled my Bluetooth dongle drivers and put it back in a usb slot so it should have re-downloaded the drivers.

Here is my Speccy file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gqh3X4BYVEoMW1d4cIEnhmDB_A9lhgxB/view?usp=sharing

I also just ran another Driver Verifier the dump is below. Note that this is still with the bluetooth dongle and adapter plugged in.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ugpaRNFAz_s86rrGKfaDsFVTnszGq5f/view?usp=sharing

As far as the Broadcom driver I believe the one i have is the 8th one from the top. My driver under device manager is called "Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Device". What do I do once I install this driver if I were to on this page?

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/File.html

File information:042919-6859-01.dmp (Apr 29 2019 - 21:21:07)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for bcbtums.sys
Probably caused by:bcbtums.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last crash was Bluetooth still, since it was in PC when you ran test.

Windows Catalog has cab files. this should help installing them: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/66346-install-cab-file-windows-10-a.html

thing is, if you just clean installed win 10 it should have this driver already so its possible the drivers on the catalog are just relabelled Win 7/8 drivers and may still cause the same errors.

Last edited:

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
When I click on the link for Broadcom Corporation - Bluetooth Controller - Broadcom 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter it opens a blue page with a link at bottom that leads to this cab file
Thank you, I will try when I get home from work. For some reason I was only able to download a zipped file for WINRAR. I may have chose the wrong download link, I forgot what the page looked like.

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I still cant figure it out as far as this cabinet file. It does download as a cabinet file but it makes me use WINRAR to open it so it doesn't have the right click to install notion. I'm sure I just didn't do something right but for the time being I put my bluetooth dongle back to where it was before these issues occurred and uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers via windows update. I will have time to game/test this current set up tonight and will let you know. Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible winrar associated itself with .cab files

WinRAR
1. Launch WinRAR and press "Ctrl-O" to open the Find Archive window.

2. Use the integrated file browser to select the CAB file and click the "Open" button to open the CAB file in WinRAR.

3. Select the files and folders that you want to extract. You can hold "Ctrl" and click multiple files and folders to select multiple items or press "Ctrl-A" to select all items in the archive.

4. Press the "Extract To" button at the top, select a folder to extract the contents of the CAB archive and click "OK" to extract the items.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/open-cab-file-54278.html

I don't know if that helps really as that opens it, not sure what you run inside exactly. It might be obvious once you open it up.

Could change the program associated with file type
go to settings/apps/Default apps
scroll to bottom of right panel and click Choose default app by file type
scroll through list of file types and find .cab

I don't actually have .cab as a choice so I don't know what options it will offers. If you lucky one if file explorer

You may need to remove winrar as final way to get it to work properly

test PC before you do it, if you want :)

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/6ixL.html
File information:050119-8640-01.dmp (May 1 2019 - 21:26:54)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:dxgmms2.sys (Process: Overwatch.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:050119-8296-01.dmp (May 1 2019 - 21:27:58)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So which GPU is in it now?

1st error caused by DirectX which 9 times out of 10 are caused by GPU drivers. So try running DDU and uninstall Nvidia drivers, and then run windows update when you start PC up and let Windows find the card and install drivers, they are from 2017 but are stable

2nd error not so obvious. though Bluetooth was running so could be that too.

sorry we not getting any closer to the end here...

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
While I was playing Overwatch I had Twitch open and spotify and some type of error popped up. I forget what it said and then I tried to click back onto Overwatch and got the first BSOD (DirectX) the second it just the PC trying to boot after the first BSOD and getting another one. I usually just shut down for a couple seconds and it will boot properly.

To answer your question, I did put my GTX 1080 back in last night.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wonder if we can find the error that popped up before the BSOD
Not sure if it helps
search for event viewer
in the left hand column, click arrow next to Custom views
click on Administrative Events
sort the middle column by date if it isn't already
look for any events near time PC crashed
there will be loads of errors in here, that is normal... the only ones you need to worry about are critical (but some critical ones are just event 41(63) which is reaction to PC restarting)

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/HBRB.html

File information:050219-20046-01.dmp (May 2 2019 - 20:23:23)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for bcbtums.sys
Probably caused by:bcbtums.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
😕Bluetoothh drivers... did you do anything with cab file?

We won't know if system is fine until we can get past this driver. You might need to uninstall it and use cord, and run driver verifier one last time to see if anything else is to blame.

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I tried to do things with the bluetooth drivers but I was still having issues. First off i did create a new folder and extracted the contents of the CAB file there. I just wasn't sure how to install these new drivers. After that I uninstalled the "Broadcom Corporation - Bluetooth Controller - Broadcom 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter" in Device Manager but after this happens the "Bluetooth" tab disappears. I'm not sure how to apply the driver update if the driver isn't noticed. To make it find it again I hit the scan for hardware changes and it automatically installs drivers for the bluetooth and wireless controller.

Not sure if there is a right or better way but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I want to try to get it working before I just unplug the dongle, delete its drivers and run a verifier.

Colif

Win 11 Master
tbh I don't know either - this isn't something I have done myself. Normally installing drivers isn't this hard.

what are the file names in the folder? I might be able to find something.

If we knew which driver to run, it will find the hardware regardless of if its in device manager or not.

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I'm at work so I can't try anything but the files are a "bcbtum.sys" system file, "bcbtums-win7x86-brcm" security catalog, "bcbtums-7x86-brcm" setup information file, "btwampfl.sys" system file and a ton of Hex files. I never read the setup information file, so maybe i should do that first.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 7 drivers... thats not going to help really, they probably just as old as the ones you have now

You might need to buy a new bluetooth adapter. If the makers of the hardware don't make newer drivers, it is a clue from them that they want you to buy new ones that do have drivers. Your not only one, I helped someone earlier with a similar problem, it seems once a year or so MIcrosoft add to the list of LAN drivers that won't work with win 10 anymore. Hardware makers were given ample time to update drivers.

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
To be honest, I'm just going to buy a new WIFI/BT card. This way it will be all in one and should be easier to get more up to date drivers than a cheap BT dongle I found on Amazon. I will put my old WIFI card in my old PC and give it a little more value.