[SOLVED] Getting very frustrated with slow wifi on new PC only

Mar 25, 2019
So I have done some digging through this forum for similar issues as mine and I cannot seem to resolve my problem.

I built a $2,000 gaming PC about a month ago. The room which it is in is quite far from the extension router in my home so I made it a point to buy a motherboard that has built in wifi, instead of using a long ethernet cord.

Here is the motherboard I purchased: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

For the first few weeks it was noticeably slower than usual with my older gaming laptop but it still was able to do most things I needed to gaming wise. Lately however, throughout the past few days it at times does not even load certain web pages. Other times it is usable to browse but very laggy in game. I tried looking for drivers to install and did install certain drivers from the motherboard's website but they have not fixed my problem at all. Am I missing something?

Here is my speedtest from my Galaxy S8 in my lap, right next to the PC: https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/4810591879

Here is my speedtest from the PC I am making this post on, it takes like 10 seconds to even find the high ping... (edit, nevermind it just comes up with "latency error" when I just tried it again) ... Before it was like 160ms ping 1 download and .34 upload.

Help... please

Solution
There is not much you can even configure on the client side of a wifi connection. Pretty much you can set the ssid and password and maybe the radio band if you are really lucky. Years ago you could set things like power levels or country codes but because people were abusing that to set the level to illegal values the fcc cracked down on it. Most other options don't do very much or make things run slower if you change them off the defaults.

Pretty much make sure all the antenna connections are tight and place the antenna where it is not blocked.

Not sure how these boards connect internally. If there are any internal antenna cables make sure they are properly connected to the wifi board.

I never even consider using wifi for...
There is not much you can even configure on the client side of a wifi connection. Pretty much you can set the ssid and password and maybe the radio band if you are really lucky. Years ago you could set things like power levels or country codes but because people were abusing that to set the level to illegal values the fcc cracked down on it. Most other options don't do very much or make things run slower if you change them off the defaults.

Pretty much make sure all the antenna connections are tight and place the antenna where it is not blocked.

Not sure how these boards connect internally. If there are any internal antenna cables make sure they are properly connected to the wifi board.

I never even consider using wifi for games so I have not looked at these boards much.

Reactions: HJB96x
Solution
Mar 25, 2019

I never even consider using wifi for games so I have not looked at these boards much.

I reinstalled my drivers and positioned my wifi antenna at a better angle and my internet is back to normal. Shocking.

This can be deleted/locked. Thanks.