[SOLVED] Getting watchdog.sys error, no BSOD, pc just shuts down ?

Nov 24, 2020
Hello, im new here :) I am not very good at computers, but but ever since I've decided to build my own computer about 6 months ago, I've been slowly learning and this website has been very useful! I finally need to make an account and post a thread myself, because I've ran in a bit of a problem. My PC started randomly crashing, the display just turns off and I normally have Twitch open in the background, which I can still hear even after the display turns off. It just blacks out, and the monitor says it'll shut off soon because there is no source detected. Only fix I've found is to just turn the pc off from the power button then on again. Nothing else seems wrong, it just starts off normally and keeps going.

I have noticed that this problem happens when I run games that would seemingly stress out the GPU. I have managed to make the problem appear almost every time while running COD warzone, I get the black screen right after the game loads into the lobby. This problem occurred even sometimes while playing League of Legends, witch I really don't understand since LOL is a very optimized game. Everything seems to point out to a GPU problem, witch is really hard for me to believe since it is a brand new NVIDIA GeForce 2080 super.. How would that ever have problems while running LOL?

Also I've had no issues with anything for the past 6 months, this problem started recently and now happens very often. I've also noticed every time it happens the fans seem to go crazy, at full speed, which would never occur before. I have used the program "WhoCrashed" and it says the error is from "watchdog.sys". After a bit of googling i've tried a couple fixes, like reinstalling display drivers or uninstalling NVIDIA sound driver, with no results :/.

One more thing, I think I had a pretty bad power outage a couple of weeks ago, with the power going back on and off again for a second. I think the problems may have started since then. Could this really be a hardware issue?

I am looking forward to your help, this PC is all I have right now and I've invested a lot into it, I am prepared to do anything to save it <3

Solution
It sounds like it could be a problem with your power supply. Do you have another one you can test with or borrow one from somewhere? (remember to only use the modular cables that go with the PSU)
Nov 24, 2020
It sounds like it could be a problem with your power supply. Do you have another one you can test with or borrow one from somewhere? (remember to only use the modular cables that go with the PSU)
I see, I thought of that myself too seeing as there was the power outage thing.. I'll try and find a replacement and test, thank you for the help <3

Nov 28, 2020
I am having the same exact issue, but I have replaced my PSU and the cables with no luck.
I’ve also used two different GPUs, both new 2070 Supers
I’ve also run mem test with a passing 4/4 score.
Really frustrating, hope we can get it fixed.