getting windows 10 back

austinkoehn1499

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
So my hard drive quit completely. I cant even get my Os off of it. But, I can access my my microsoft acc. I got a new harddrive and want to get my windows 10 pro back without buying a new os. Im sure this is an easy question but idk how. bios now shows my harddrive.

Solution
On a separate pc you'll need to download the media creation tool and use it to burn windows to either DVD or flash drive. (recommend 8Gb minimum). From there you plug those into your pc and have bios set boot priority as either uefi USB or uefi optical first, which will then boot from your media, not the HDD. This'll bring up the option to install several different versions of Windows. (10 Home 32bit, 10 Pro 64bit etc) you choose the one you had prior as that's what the key Microsoft has recorded for your pc.

If you already have a copy of Windows to install, you just need to boot into bios and change the boot order to your media first, then the hdd second. Right now it looks like the hdd is first, so won't boot.

VJ_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
Install a fresh copy of windows and reactivate the windows by using your MS account using a activation troubleshoot.

Check the below links:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-...

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
You should be able to put the new drive in and reload windows 10, skip the serial entry and it should be activated when you get back up and running. If you are swapping hardware that is when the windows account and activation troubleshooter come into play.

Yes, you're right, it is quite easy but it will take about an hour;

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On a separate pc you'll need to download the media creation tool and use it to burn windows to either DVD or flash drive. (recommend 8Gb minimum). From there you plug those into your pc and have bios set boot priority as either uefi USB or uefi optical first, which will then boot from your media, not the HDD. This'll bring up the option to install several different versions of Windows. (10 Home 32bit, 10 Pro 64bit etc) you choose the one you had prior as that's what the key Microsoft has recorded for your pc.

If you already have a copy of Windows to install, you just need to boot into bios and change the boot order to your media first, then the hdd second. Right now it looks like the hdd is first, so won't boot.

Solution

I think that he already followed the directions that I posted right above your post. It would be quite easy for him to do.