Question Getting Windows 98 desktop ship-shape

mft004

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2015
Hello wizards,

I'm now getting round to using a Compaq Deskpro with Windows 98 SE, for old games, CDs and floppies. Looks like just two problems to get past first.
  1. although I'm trying with either a 1280x1024 monitor or a 1024x768 monitor, the resolution with this Compaq is not going further than 640x480 - that's the only option I've got via Display Properties. There are three VGA ports on the back of this PC, one with the motherboard and two with the graphics card provided - it's one of the ports on the graphics card which is giving me a screen but no further options.
  2. There is no sign of sound being available. I've got some Cambridge Soundworks SBS52 speakers plugged in to the correct port on the motherboard but nothing's coming through.

Thanks to anyone who has ideas on where to start with this / common problems to check first. Here and here are two images of the interior and here are the system specs provided to me when bought second-hand:
Compaq Deskpro; Pentium III - 733 Mhz; 256Mb RAM; 160GB HDD; Matrox GFX card with dual head.

Kind regards,
Mark