Getting Windows Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranaman

Honorable
May 25, 2015
I have and Asus X550CA laptop. It had Win 8.1, then the hard drive broke.

I bought a new harddrive, and I installed ubuntu.

Now I want to dual boot. I found the best way is to back up, erase and install Windows first, then reinstall Linux 2nd.

However, I don't have any Windows installation disks. I'm wary of getting them off 'certain' internet sites.

I see this site: https://restore.solutions/en/asusx550series/. Does anyone know of a better place where I can get Windows 8 or 8.1 for cheaper or free?

Solution
'Free' does not exist.
'Cheaper', if you are a student or get it from your corporate license agreement

You're looking for a valid Windows OS?
Either contact ASUS and obtain the original Factory Reset DVD for that thing, or buy a valid Windows OS. It will cost you about $90 for Win 8.1.

Or...
Does the original reset partition still exist on that laptop? If so, it will probably let you create the Factory reset DVD.
This will wipe out the entire drive, meaning after than install, you have to do the Ubuntu install all over again.

USAFRet

Titan
'Free' does not exist.
'Cheaper', if you are a student or get it from your corporate license agreement

You're looking for a valid Windows OS?
Either contact ASUS and obtain the original Factory Reset DVD for that thing, or buy a valid Windows OS. It will cost you about $90 for Win 8.1.

Or...
Does the original reset partition still exist on that laptop? If so, it will probably let you create the Factory reset DVD.
This will wipe out the entire drive, meaning after than install, you have to do the Ubuntu install all over again.

Solution

pranaman

Honorable
May 25, 2015

Thanks. I changed the harddrive. The original one is damaged, so I can't see any partition or anything on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.