getting winxp off of first drive, want to put on new secon..

Hi, I want to move my OS from my first hd to my new second hd, what is the
simplest way to do this?
thanks

Its fairly simple,install new drive on same IDE cable as C: set as slave,
format the hd,after format go to run,type:XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r
Agree to all in the DOS window,when its thru youre done.Also,D: being
the new drive,however if asigned diffrent then use that letter.

"sharelove" wrote:

> Hi, I want to move my OS from my first hd to my new second hd, what is the
> simplest way to do this?
> thanks

Looks like Jim is still running Win98.
This does not work for XP.
You can clone the drive using your manufacturers software, but you may
be required to do a repair installation of XP after you restart the
computer with the cloned drive. You will have to reinstall XP-SP2 if
you are using a preSP2 CD for your installation.
Norton Ghost works best for cloning drives.

Post back with your results.

Hi, I was wondering about that... I haven't received my HD yet, so once I get
it i'll see if it comes with utility to do that. I have sp2 on a separate
disk. do you think I'll lose anything off of what will be the #2 drive?
thanks

"compsalvage_cscs@hotmail.com" wrote:

> Looks like Jim is still running Win98.
> This does not work for XP.
> You can clone the drive using your manufacturers software, but you may
> be required to do a repair installation of XP after you restart the
> computer with the cloned drive. You will have to reinstall XP-SP2 if
> you are using a preSP2 CD for your installation.
> Norton Ghost works best for cloning drives.
>
> Post back with your results.

Jim

"sharelove" <sharelove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I want to move my OS from my first hd to my new second hd, what is the
> simplest way to do this?
> thanks
Use the utility that the HD manufacturer included in the setup disk. (It is
probably the equivalent of Xcopy).
Jim

<compsalvage_cscs@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like Jim is still running Win98.
> This does not work for XP.
> You can clone the drive using your manufacturers software, but you may
> be required to do a repair installation of XP after you restart the
> computer with the cloned drive. You will have to reinstall XP-SP2 if
> you are using a preSP2 CD for your installation.
> Norton Ghost works best for cloning drives.

Ghost 9.0 (the latest version) requires .NET Framework to be
installed. A utility that doesn't require .NET Framework and
which is available as a free trial download is Casper XP -
www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp/ . It works for 30 days,
then you have to make up your mind to quit using it or shell
out $50. Like Ghost, it can clone a single partition, whereas
Acronis True Image can (directly) clone only an entire HD.

*TimDaniels*

Jim

<compsalvage_cscs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Looks like Jim is still running Win98.
> This does not work for XP.
> You can clone the drive using your manufacturers software, but you may
> be required to do a repair installation of XP after you restart the
> computer with the cloned drive. You will have to reinstall XP-SP2 if
> you are using a preSP2 CD for your installation.
> Norton Ghost works best for cloning drives.
>
> Post back with your results.

No, I am running XP with SP2. I have done what he wants to do, but I used
the program that came with the drive. Sorry, I thought that there is a
version of Xcopy that would work in XP.
Now, if he bought an OEM drive, he will save money but will not get the
program. Nor, in the case of WD, will he necessarily get the correct jumper
settings.
You can also download the program from the manufacturer's web site. At
least, you can for WD products, and it would be most surprising if you
couldn't download from the others.
Jim