Getting Zero percent from my GPU

zrkraus

Reputable
Mar 9, 2018
So BFV just came out and ive been giving it a good go these past couple of days. Im running a i7 6600k and a gtx 1070, so I expected to see a bottleneck from my cpu, and it showed in my task manager, getting about 80% from cpu and 40 from the GPU. But when I checked my HWmonitor program I was actually getting only about 1 % from my actual gpu, and i have no clue why. Could it be a driver problem, or am i really in trouble here.

Solution
Those percentages shouldn't be used as the final word about anything. It can be useful to know those percentages when troubleshooting certain problems. You don't mention any problems though. How is actual game performance?

80% CPU, 40% GPU could mean that the game only requires 80% CPU of what your CPU can do. Your CPU has 8 threads, unless the game maxes out all 8 threads you're not going to see 100% use. Meanwhile, it could be that at the resolution and settings you run, and with that particular CPU, the videocard only needs to be loaded to 40% use. Maybe a higher resolution or faster CPU might cause GPU to go higher.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

Its more than likely an issue with HW. How many frames are you getting in game? Or is it even launching? Try installing another program such as CAM or MSI afterburner and disabling HWmonitor for checking GPU usage and whatnot.

zrkraus

Reputable
Mar 9, 2018

Im getting 60 fps for the most part on medium, occasional drops when theres high traffic. Also I shoulda mentioned that the GPU dropped to 0 % only after turning on DX 12, but it was bizzare b/c the game seemed to be running smooth.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

If you're getting 60fps and occasional drops (because of the weaker cpu), you're completely fine. Its just HWmonitor bugging out. I personally hate that program and avoid it like the plague, and i tell anyone else i come in contact with the same thing.

Those percentages shouldn't be used as the final word about anything. It can be useful to know those percentages when troubleshooting certain problems. You don't mention any problems though. How is actual game performance?

80% CPU, 40% GPU could mean that the game only requires 80% CPU of what your CPU can do. Your CPU has 8 threads, unless the game maxes out all 8 threads you're not going to see 100% use. Meanwhile, it could be that at the resolution and settings you run, and with that particular CPU, the videocard only needs to be loaded to 40% use. Maybe a higher resolution or faster CPU might cause GPU to go higher.

Solution

zrkraus

Reputable
Mar 9, 2018

Ill give msi afterburner a look, ill just monitor it abit more closely. Also im expecting to get an i7 8700k soon, and i only ever game at 1080p so this shouldnt be much of a problem then.