GF 4 MX460 s vid in and pausing issues

La_Magra

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
ok folks
got a problem here that i have spent absolutly ages trying to figure out how to solve. Be grateful if anyone can put me out my misery.
Basically i have a GeForce 4 MX460 with s video in, and have been trying to get my old camcorder hi-8 footage onto the hardrive (this is the first time i am trying movie editing) so anyway, got the video footage on the drive along with audio all via windows xp's own movie maker 2.
But after playing back the file, i notice the footage pauses every 2 seconds for at least 1 second then continues on for another 2 secs. Thought it was the DMA stuff at first so switched the hard drive to PIO mode and tried again...still pausin. then i switched off the antivirus and all programs running in the background and tried again...still no luck. The Audio is fine its just then damn thing spits out a file that pauses every 2 secs...
any help please?
my specs are as follows
athlon xp 1.53Ghz
256mb DDR RAM
40GB udma100 7200rpm IBM (deskstar i think...it's quite new)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, this is a common problem that's been around ever since capture cards have been around. You probably have a video card that uses software compression for the capture, and relies on the CPU for "hardware". You also have a fairly week CPU for doing this.

You could try capturing at lower resolution, 352x240 is OK for TV quality images, and is the NTSC standard for VCD. 352x288 if you're in a PAL country.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I used to have a 1.5 P4 with 256 MB of RDRAM and I didn't have problems capturing high resolution mpeg2 video. my CPU usuage would shoot up to like 90% on dvd quality, but I wouldn't get dropped frames or anything. His system should be faster than my old one, unless his RAM is holding him back. Maybe he's capturing at some insane quality or something. Crashman's right, turn down the quality and resolution. From my (limited) experience, however, you should be able to capture at a decent quality. Also, you definitely wanna make sure nothing else is running when you're capturing.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I used to have a VERY old TV card that could capture at 720x480! I was VERY shocked when my PIII 700@933 couldn't capture at good framerates considering the card was released back in the PII days!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

La_Magra

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
thanks for the responses guys. well i shutdown all the programs running in the background as well as lowering the res to the suggested PAL res, even tried capturing at the lowest res but the problem still occurs (!) what kind of specs do you need for software encoding? Is the video editing program a factor in video capture (I am using windows movie maker 2) Starting to think s video feature on graphics cards are a bit of a joke.... so with capture cards, their compression is hardware? What about these USB based capture devices, are they any good?
I'd appreciate any other suggestions to solve this problem. cheers again for the responses.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
USB is too slow for video capture, such devices are garbage. Pinacle makes a USB 2.0 capture device with hardware MPEG2 encoding, which would overcome the limitations of standard USB devices. And there are PCI cards with hardware compression as well.

But then again, it could be a problem with the program you're using to capture with.

La_Magra

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
windows movie maker 2 actually has problems with pci capture devices? what kind of problems? which program do you recommend for video capture?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm guessing it might have overhead problems based on YOUR suggestions. I know the adobe program I used had some problems like that.