Gf 4200 Fan/Heatsink Repair

Iron_Chef

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
Recently my Gforce 4200 ti fan has locked up and failed however the card is still ok.
So I see that I can buy a replacement hs & fan however how to connect it? And which one to use is my question ;)

also I have an old Intel hs & fan could that be used with some kind of adhesive?

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
There's no need to worry about how to connect it if you're going to buy something specifically made for the Ti4200. My suggestion is the IceBerg, costs I think around US$10 I think. Try to find it where you live. I regretted not buying it sooner, because my card would've been happy with one, god rest her soul.

As for your last question, yea you could do that, but I don't think it'll be all that stable. You'll probably also need to drill some holes on the sink for screws to go through to the card, just to hold the whole thing in place. Remember not to overtighten, don't want to crush the core.

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Payment in bed credits.

Iron_Chef

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
SO using the stock pin hole is probably best however
Are there any differnet ways to attach a Heatsink to the GPU? Can you use an adhesive:
like an epoxy?
or a thermal tape?
Or will these damage the GPU?
Also the same question for heatsinks on the RAM chips?
Thanks for the help ;)

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
It's only best if there's no alternative.

And yea, thermal epoxy and/or thermal tape is fine. Try to use epoxy/tape specifically ment for computers, no "industrial" anything. Nope, your GPU won't get damaged, not unless you try to take the heatsink back out again later. The pain of removing it is one of the reasons why I'd rather use normal thermal goo, and screw on a sink instead.

Same answer for RAM chips.

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Payment in bed credits.