GF2-MX A Good Idea?

G

Hello!

I'm looking for a new graphics card, and I was thinking about the ASUS V7100/T. However, I'm still not 100% sure if this will be the best solution. The system specs currently look like this:

P3-5*100 on a DFI P2XBL (440BX) board
128MB PC-100
12GB Quantum Fireball EX
...and a no brand i740 graphics card.

It's not the hottest PC anymore, but most of all the graphics card needs an upgrade. However, the BX board is limited to AGP 2x, will that somehow be a problem? Secondly, I've been reading stuff about power supply problems using modern cards on older mainboards, how about that? And, finally, will this card reach its full potential or will a cheaper card do equally well? I am definately on a budget so I do not want to buy a card that proves to be a waste of graphics power.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

PM

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
should you get it, in a word...yes. here's why i think you should get it: 1. i think the p3-500 should be enough processor for the mx to reach it's potential and it would beat your current graphics card like a redheaded stepchild. 2. the mx will run fine on agp 2x and the difference between agp 2x and 4x isn't that much overall and the video card can be used in a future system. 3. as far as power, it is not nearly as hungry as its big brother, the gts. unless you have a bunch of other stuff installed that you didn't mention, a 200 watt ps should work (but personally i wouldn't go lower than that). all that being said, i think the choice is clear. however, if $100 is too much for you to drop on a video card now, i would look at a tnt based card. believe me, as a college student i know what a tight budget is. i live on pasta at about $0.33/pound just so i can save money to feed my computer hardware addiction.

G

I'm running a PIII 600e with a Prophet 2mx and for the cash it was a bargain,much better than a gf2 for the money,and it o/c's like f#ck as well

G

I've heard many good reviews about the GF2 MX. It's compatible with AGP2 and will run fine alongside your processor. Its power guzzling is fine on a BX mainboard. It's the ideal card to go for, you won't regret it..I wish I had one