GF2mx, bad dvd and 3d games

G

Please help me someone,
I recently bught a geforce 2 mx 32mb with tv-out to improve gaming and dvd/vidcd playback. Now dvds are jerky at best and also grainy pic in windvd, and in powerdvd won't allow motion compensation otherwise it won't run at all. I got windvd bundled with card and also test drive 5 which is jerky even at lowest resolution. Half life also jerky. Only game which seems ok is aliens versus predator which incidently didn't work with old graphics card (Ati xpert 2000 32mb). Tried altering agp aperture in bios and set agp to 1X, 2X and 4X but with no improvement. It's driving me crazy as i understood the geforce2 is supposed to be a vgood card but it has stopped all the good stuff from running and i've read the other posts which are relevent and tried the suggestions but nothing has improved the situation.
My system is:
Athlon 750
Gigabyte 7zx kt133 motherboard
256 pc133 ram
hitachi 12x dvd drive
sony rewriter
20gig samsung hd
win 98se
300watt power supply

P.S. I've checked the irqs and the geforce is sharing with sci for acpi driver or holder but i don't know how to change the irq that it's sharing. I had my network card sharing, so changed the slot, but no improvement.

G

Which Nvidia drivers are you using?

You may want to go to www.reactorcritical.com and get the 6.34 or 6.35, those are the most stable in my experience. That sita also has the latest via 4 in 1 drivers, which may help. What version of Direct X do you have?
Do you have Vsync turned on? Is FSAA on?

<i>Nascar racing is one of the few sports where spectators routinely die</i>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Your first PCI slot next to the AGP slot shares the same IRQ. So leave that slot open if you can. Place your scsi card in another slot and your IRQ should change. Use the newest Via's 4in1 driver 428 obtain from here:
<A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1</A>

G

Thanks for the suggestions, i've tried what was said but it hasn't seemed to have had any effect. It's very frustrating spending lots of money and it doesn't work.
I have FSAA on and Vsync was already on. I have also tried the detonator 6.34, 6.35 and 10.5 drivers but no improvement. I have removed directx 8 and installed directx 7 as I'd heard of problems with directx 8. On the directx diagnostic tool the agp texturing is jerky. I have also flashed the bios with the latest provided from the gigabyte website and I have now been able to enable agp fast write. I also ran 3D marks 2000 in 1024 x 768 resolution in 32 bit but the score I got was 2285.
Re the irq conflict, I don't have any SCSI cards, but on the same irq as my geforce it says there is a SCI for ACPI bus and when I try to change the irq, windows says it can't be changed.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions whatsoever and i'm willing to try anything!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Turn off FSAA, FSAA will give you a severe performance hit in Games, especially higher resolutions 32 bit. Your talking about up to a 50% reduction in framerate with FSAA on. Let us know if this helps.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If your using FSAA. Upgrade to a geforce2 gts or ATi radeon 32mb ddr. If no FSAA keep the geforce2 mx.

:cool: First person to get a topic banned. :cool: ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!! :cool: VIA SUCKS !!! :cool:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, if FSAA is really important you should be using a Voodoo5. (Or wait for the GeForce3 to come out.)

But I doubt that FSAA could be THAT important to anyone. Heh heh.

But yeah Grandad, turn off FSAA. The MX cards just don't have the processing power of the other GeForce cards because they're the 'low end' versions of the current GPUs that NVIDIA makes. With FSAA off your FPS should jump up considerably.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

Hi there
Cheers for all suggestions, I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows and all the drivers suggested and the problems have disappeared, byebye jerkiness, hello speed and fluidity. Ran 3D marks and got 5782 so I'm hoping my problems are over.
Thanks again
Grandad

TRENDING THREADS