GF2Pro settings?

G

Hi there

I bought a Gigabyte Geforce2 Pro yesterday and am slightly dissapointed. Firstly at 640x480 which some game menus use there is an annoying flicker every say 5-10secs. I had a old rage pro 8MB without probs. I've got a Duron 700 with 128mb and have formatted the machine from scratch. My problem is the flicker and also a wierd thing with Unreal Tour. The game takes forever to load preivous stages to 3-5 secs now about 60! The GFX is great but jumpy. I can see it's using the swap file, but why only now and not previously? My aperture size is set to 64MB (what should it be?).

Any help/suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Roy

G

ah i too have a gf2pro - the asus one though. It works great except i seem to have a similar problem as you with ut. Mine loads fine, Much faster than on my old celeron. My problem is the actual game play. The frame rates are horrible. Q3 serious sam and max payne all work as they should, but i have to run ut at 800X600 in 16 bit for the game to be playable. Otherwise it too choppy to play. I was originaly running the latest release drivers but i switched to the beta 12.90 last night and got no inprovement. My machine is a tbird 900 on abit a7v-r 256M ram IBM gxp65 HD asus V7700 gf2pro - nothing is currently overclocked. Running win2kpro sp1 dx8.0. Tonight im going to try updating my version of ut it was v1.38 i think. Anyone got any other suggestions?

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Hrm... the game is actually using virtual memory to play? I assume play starts fine, but then degrades? Sounds like you got a memory leak somewhere that's devouring all your physical memory. That would be why you've got horribly jumpy play, and why it takes so damn long to load levels. I'm no troubleshooting expert, but this does not sound like a problem with your video card. Do you experience these problems in any game other than Unreal Tournament, where it's constantly swapping?

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
When all else fails, flash your bios, reinstall your OS and drivers, and start over again :D

At that point your performance issues should all be moot and everything will be working great, or you'll discover that the problems remain and you've got a bonked card that needs to be replaced.

When was the last time you reinstalled your OS? I keep Windows fresh every 6 months or so, to keep it from becoming like the half eaten ham sandwich in the fridge. Most people hate doing it, but it should be part of everyone's regular computer maintenance.

G

I've got an update:

Under win98 no probs what so ever. Reason RAM. I disabled a lot of services that autostart with Win2k and now once booted takes up about 40MB Ram instead of 60-70. The reason I suspect I never had this problem previously was because now ALL my texture settings are on high and therefore take longer to load and now occupy more ram. I did notice something wierd though that when I play @640 frame rate is about 35, but at 1024@32 all on high about 50 ie the more I ask the more it gives?

Another prob has appeared though. Under win98 I get on 1280x1024x32 about 40-50 frames but under Win2k I get 15! This sux both are using the latest drivers 12.14. I dont wanna play under win98 and btw my agp setting in my bios is 4X but Win2k reports it as being 1X? Help? And Q3 runs fine. Does anyone else have a GTS or Pro? What sort of frames R you guys getting?

Thanks
Roy

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Hrm... what motherboard and bios version are you using?

When I went from 98SE to Win2k my 3dperformance actually improved slightly. My GTS with a Duron@1000 runs me about 70fps outside average in Tribes2 and around 100fps in Quake3 at 1024x768x32. It never really dips below 97 in Q3.

G

I have a Duron 700 with a Gigabyte 7ZX mobo with the Via KT133, the VC is a Gigabyte 2010 (GF2 Pro,200Mhz,400Mhz,64MB )

I've since installed SP2, installed the latest bios update 7ZX.feb (13 June 2001). Win2k still reports my AGP speed to be 1X.
I want to know if my performance in normal or poor ie should I return my card? My perfomance was low in 98 till I installed the 4in1 and it installed the fast agp driver, but under win2k all the 4in1 installs in a usb driver?

Under win2k 1024x768x32 on 16bots (godlike) on HallofGiants CTF I get avg 30 Dx8.
Under win2k 1024x768x32 on 16bots (godlike) on HallofGiants CTF I get avg 45 with OpenGL.
Under Win98 1024x768x32 on 16bots (godlike) on HallofGiants CTF I get avg 38 Dx8.
Under win98 1024x768x32 on 16bots (godlike) on HallofGiants CTF I get avg 55 with OpenGL

Any other ideas? I'm going to try it on my other PC a old k6-2 400 to check the agp readings
BTW What is the graphics aperture size and what should I set it to?

Regards
Roy

G

Have you installed the miniport driver from AMD? This really speeds up the AGP port (practically doubled my score with 3DMark2000)

Andy

G

It took forever to update my bios as I realised that the flash protect was also jumper protected!

Just a q on the miniport, my chipset is VIA based isn't the AMD miniport driver for AMD chipset mobos? Maybe I should download the VIA equivalent if one exists?

Roy

TRENDING THREADS