GF3 and TVout (or not)

G

Ive owned my Visiontek GF3 for about 3 weeks now and after wiping the drool off of mykeyboard for the first two weeks, i've encoutnered a problem. I needed to hook it up to my TV today, so I bought a cable, scrounged up my Svideo to composite adaptor and hooked it up to my 27" trinitron. No picture! The TV out option is grayed out in the control panel! What the hell is going on here? Part of the reason I went with this particular card is because of the TVOUT. $390 for a card that essentially only half works? ANyone else know whats up? I will be calling friggin visiontek tomorow. Hopefully they have better tech support than ASUS ( i still love asus although they sold me a mobo with a faulty pci slot and after 4 email attempts and waiting two months offer no reply)

Its big, purple and women love it!(ATX case w/3 coats of purple Krylon and the AMD logo)

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the same card, and the same problem. The guy on tech support claimed I needed my s-video cable connected before I tried video out, but I would almost swear that s-video is analog and thus has no way of detecting if its hooked up or not. I only paid $334 for my visiontek so I'm relatively happy with it, all features should work on it though.
When you buy a product all its features should work, what'd happen if the light speed memory didn't work like it should and was exactly like geforce 2 ultra memory. That'd suck and would warrant an exchange or refund, it should be the same way if the TV out doesn't work.
Try the new drivers from their site, its what I'm about to do.

G

Did you get an answer/solution to this? I am kind of in the same situation and I am getting my S-Video cable soon and I would like to get it to work.

Thanks,
MCI

G

Yes I did. One of the $32 patch cables I was using was bad. However, I spoke to tech support at Visiontek, and they say that some people are having trouble with the SVideo out on the geforce3 cards. They instructed me (before I knew it was the cable) to go out and buy another svideo to composite adapter as some do not work. Basically they told me to go out and buy the most expensive one I could find and write back to them and tell them if it works. I replaced my patch cable and voila, it worked fine. Though TV Out is highly overrated, it looks like absolute [-peep-] when channeled to a TV. I have a 4 year old Sony Trinitron (thus, having to use the adapter.no Svideo)and I cant find any reason to go with the TV Out. Hope this helps.

<font color=purple><b>Its not easy being purple</b></font color=purple>
<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
S-Video gives about 1/4 the bluryness of Composite. But TV's are still too low in resolution to read print at 10 font, even at low resolutions like 640x480.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine