gf3: What comes next?

G

In the gf3 line of Nvidia's products, what is next? Will the gf3 MX be the next product on the market, or the ultra? And when is this product expected to be released? Also, will the RadeonII or KyroIII be marketed to the value end PC market or the high-end market? And when will these products be out and will they be competitive with the gf3?

I am a little scared at this point of Nvidia obtaining complete control of the graphics market. Hopefully ATI will come out with a competitive product that will be able to compete with the gf3 series. If not, the consumer will be somewhat disappointed in terms of price and market competition.

G

50/50 tossup whether Nvidia does go for a MX version of gf3. dunno, can we say gf4? or god forbid *gasp* a WHOLE new name?

I HATE recycled names!!!!! (Pentium, Rage, Geforce, et al to name a few)

PS. who's putting money on nvidia repeating history *a la 3dfx + STB* with nforce? I'm for 50/50 odds myself ;)

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The nv17 is due for release some time soon (don't know when). I should think it would be next card out. The Crush 17 and 18 chipsets will have it onboard.

I heard the nv25 (High end GeForce 3/GeForce 4?) was taken off to concentrate on the nv30 but then I also heard it was still ontrack. So I don't know what to think there. But I do know the nv30 is due late 2k1/ early 2k2.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
In honor of 3dfx demise nVidia may name their next chip the Rampage, hmmmm what a thought, stample the grave a little and maybe flowers will grow up. Actually I would think that would be a smart move if nVidia did take a 3dfx name. Even Voodoo as a trademark would be nice, much better then the crappy GewizForce brand name. I nominate Voodoo Rampage as the NV30 official name, long live Voodoo.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
nah. voodoo has a 16bit miniGL stigma attached to it. Just Rampage would be nice. Dreamforce is just tacky. Its name sega or nintendo would use for their product. too late, sega already has a variation of that. ;-)

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Yep yep, Rampage sounds very nice... ah I still remember hearing rumours about Voodoo Rampage how it was going to kick ass of up and coming (nv10?) chipset :*)

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The nv10 aka GeForce was released around the same time as the voodoo 3500. I think.

so there was voodoo 4,5,6, then rampage?

G

I'd say after nv17 there will be nv25 and then super drooper nv30, I hate Nvidia's FORCE name, geForce, DreamForce, what's next CockForce? why not name AcceleratoGraphicoCardo?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Rampage is a very cool name and almost makes me want to buy one site unscene. Especially with all the mystery built around it, nVidia could do well there. But GF4, yech!!!! "GollyGEForce number 4 Batman", Batman responds, "Settle down Robin, that has to be a disguise, for anyone with intelligence won't name the most advance chip ever devised by such an idiotic name." Robin responds, "Holy smokeless, it is Nvidia by the way".

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 06/21/01 10:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

The GF3 is a nice card, but a bit underpowered if I dare say. It is comparable (not equal, no flames plz) to a GF2 Ultra in many games that we all run today:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q2/010419/geforce3-04.html#quake_3_arena

several pages of benchmark scores...
and it still bogs down in some future game benchmarks:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q2/010419/geforce3-10.html

The next Nvidia card should be a much faster Geforce 3, or something with the same GPU but at a much higher clock/memory speed.
The GF3 just isn't going to put out enough power to truly realize the versatility of the programable GPU.
It was a great first step in the right direction, but it is too underpowered.

Kyro III and the tile based technology has huge promise. It is so much faster clock per clock. If Nvidia made a tile based card, I think it would kick everything else's ass.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Einstein

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Its supposed to be 2-7 times faster. IT probably would have been if the games were written to use its hsr algorythms. But hey, games don't even use the T&L engine of any card to its full potential.

There has been a lot of hype though. I'm still not dissapointed at the card. It has made a technological mark as have most other nVidia cards. It has to be said that this card will not have the pushing power to satisfy power gamers when games like Doom 3 are released. The radeon 2 is also likely to fall in this category.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
hehe you said "AcceleratoGraphicoCardo" that has got to be the best name yet. I love it.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Who cares what they name the card as long as it doe more for the consumer! A name is only worth the amount of marketing reveinue that it can generate.

If it works for you then don't fix it.