GF4 Ti, and 250W PSU

I just recieved a GF4 Ti card from an eBay purchase. The
seller listed it as a 128MB PNY GF4 Ti4200. Looking at the board
reveals no indication that it's a PNY brand card as it is a black PCB,
and not purple, the heatsink just has the GF4 logo (not the PNY logo),
and the memory has no heatsinks like the PNY cards. I did however find
a sticker with this lable: M-GF4Ti4400APB
I'm hoping this card is actually the Ti4400, and not the
Ti4200. Before I install it to find out, I was wondering if a 250W PSU
would damage it since the GF4 cards I've seen recommend 350W. This
250W PSU does power my AMD XP1900, and GF3 Ti200 just fine. I do
however have a 520W PSU on it's way. Should I just wait?

Dino

when I went from a G3Ti200 in my kids system to my old Ti4200..the generic
350 PSU would randomly reboot..as soon as I swapped it out for an Enermax
465 all was fine..so it is your choice. It should not damage it but may
cause you some grief.

teqguy

dino wrote:

> when I went from a G3Ti200 in my kids system to my old Ti4200..the
> generic 350 PSU would randomly reboot..as soon as I swapped it out
> for an Enermax 465 all was fine..so it is your choice. It should not
> damage it but may cause you some grief.

Lack of power on an individual rail should not damage anything.

If you live in an area where lightning storms are prevalent, it's a
good idea to have various forms of surge protection and maybe even
battery backup.

A constant fluctuation in voltage will do more damage than going from 0
to 1 (off, then on) or vice versa.

Oscillators are meant to run at a certain frequency, if they're always
fluctuating they could potentially blow out.... meaning bye bye
motherboard, graphics card, power supply, pci cards, hard drive, and
cdrom drives.

I know people that have blown their systems even while they're off,
simply because a breaker blew(usually happens when there's a power
surge).

One tip though:

If you start using power strips or surge protectors with HEAVY
protection... I'm talking 500w to a couple KW... will degrade your DSL
and cable performance because of the inability to fluctuate amperes as
quickly.

Larry Roberts wrote:

> I just recieved a GF4 Ti card from an eBay purchase. The
> seller listed it as a 128MB PNY GF4 Ti4200. Looking at the board
> reveals no indication that it's a PNY brand card as it is a black PCB,
> and not purple, the heatsink just has the GF4 logo (not the PNY logo),
> and the memory has no heatsinks like the PNY cards. I did however find
> a sticker with this lable: M-GF4Ti4400APB
> I'm hoping this card is actually the Ti4400, and not the
> Ti4200. Before I install it to find out, I was wondering if a 250W PSU
> would damage it since the GF4 cards I've seen recommend 350W. This
> 250W PSU does power my AMD XP1900, and GF3 Ti200 just fine. I do
> however have a 520W PSU on it's way. Should I just wait?

Generally with cheap power supplies you get erratic and irregular
voltage. This is bad.

Just because it's called a "350w PSU" doesn't mean it actually delivers
that, or does a good job of it. I've seen 220w units marked up as 300
or even 330, just because they peaked at something like 250 or 270.
It's ridiculous sometimes.

As a rule of thumb, stay away from $10/20 PSU's, no matter what they're
rated at. Buying a high quality 350w will often outperform any cheap
500. This is really the problem with video cards.

You need a clean amount of voltage, not a maximum peak. The AGP slot
can only deliver so much to begin with (a max of 3.3v, 1.5 for AgP 2.0),
but it should be as regulated as possible.

Check out some articles and questions at http://www.dansdata.com about
PSU's and such. I think you'll learn a lot.

i had a ti4600 and a 350w power supply was not enouhg. my computer kept on
rebooting by itself because the +12v would drop far to low, i upgraded to a
425w ps amd all was fine.
"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> I just recieved a GF4 Ti card from an eBay purchase. The
> seller listed it as a 128MB PNY GF4 Ti4200. Looking at the board
> reveals no indication that it's a PNY brand card as it is a black PCB,
> and not purple, the heatsink just has the GF4 logo (not the PNY logo),
> and the memory has no heatsinks like the PNY cards. I did however find
> a sticker with this lable: M-GF4Ti4400APB
> I'm hoping this card is actually the Ti4400, and not the
> Ti4200. Before I install it to find out, I was wondering if a 250W PSU
> would damage it since the GF4 cards I've seen recommend 350W. This
> 250W PSU does power my AMD XP1900, and GF3 Ti200 just fine. I do
> however have a 520W PSU on it's way. Should I just wait?

I put a TI4200 in my Dell 4550 (250w power supply) and haven't had as
much as a hiccup ever since. Depends a LOT upon the quality of the
power supply. Dell's tend to be lower in output but better in quality.
Most PC makers have forums where users post their success with
upgrades and power issues.

Gil