r_report

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
recently, my cd rom (Creative OEM 52x) starts popping out after a while.
if i close it, it stays closed for maybe 15 seconds, then pops back out again. seems to want to stay open.
HOWEVER, if i put a cd into the drive, it will stay closed, even if i'm not accessing the cd.
is this a manufacturer's defect? i'm still covered by warranty.

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me. Something may be trying to access your cd-rom drive. If you are running windows try going to safe mode and seeing what happends. If it happens there you know its a hardware problem. If it doesn't its obvously software. if you are running windows 98 try going "start----->run" and type "msconfig" and see if there is anything in the advanced tab that is starting that you don't need. Also check your startup folder and see if there is something there. It could be a game or something like that, that requires the cd to run.

Without being at the machine its hard to figure out, but there is a start for you.

-Alpha
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.

r_report

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
i've also tried it in another computer, and the same thing happens. both computers work fine if i attach a different cd rom instead of this creative one to it.