Ghost Recon Wildlands performance

Apr 25, 2018
Hello everyone

I'm having some issues with Ghost recon Wildlands and just can't get it to work like I think it should. Is anyone having similar experience with a similar setup? What did you do to get it work as it should?

The thing is, I'm getting some stutters when driving land vehicles and occasional stutter in helicopter. Otherwise it's running pretty smoothly. I lowered some settings and tried different fixes from the internet and I managed to smooth it out a bit but it still stutters occasionaly.
I did a clean driver install, tried vsync on and off, windowed, borderless, fullscreen... Changing Nvidia vsync doesn't seem to do anything. Still not as smooth as it should be.

I'm running it at 1080p with constant 60fps and I don't see any frame drops even when stuttering. Is it really so badly optimized or am I just aiming too high even with my hardware?

My specs:
i7 8700k
Gtx 1080 ti strix
Z370 extreme 4
16gb ram 3000hz
2 ssd. One for os and one for gaming
750w corsair gold psu

Solution
Win10's latest big update began May 8th, wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it. Possible Nvidia drivers aren't optimised yet is hard to say.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try gpu scaling to 1.10x ingame. Might still be an issue where gpu falls a sleep when left default settings.

This game also loads while you're playing, ever wondered why you can quickly get into gameplay? Ssd does help but how they've done it that way instead of a load bar is pretty silly.

Apr 25, 2018

Do you mind telling me how to scale gpu ingame 'cause I have no idea ;)

Checked. It's not in energy saving mode. I also set "prefer maximum preformance" in nvidia settings and fps limit to OFF ingame. It seem to run a little smoother. I'm getting over 70 fps but driving around is still laggy and I get occasional stutter when flying around in helicopter. Setting vsync in nvidia settings globally or just for this game doesn't make any difference ingame whatsoever

CPU is at 67 max and GPU at 69 max. I'm using air cooling and I believe I'm well within limits

I should also mention that I have no problems whatsoever playing any other game on ultra (gta5, division, kingdom come,fallout 4, middle earth:shadow of war and so on...)

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Video > resolution scaling

Apr 25, 2018

Aha :) Did try. Seems a little bit better.
Now that I'm playing around with different settings it looks more like a camera jittering when driving around and not actually fps drops. There are occasional hiccups that look related to map loading but otherwise it runs really smooth. I just noticed earlier when getting into car and driving around, that car starts shaking and jittering as soon as I start driving, despite driving on smooth roads. And even more when pressing handbrake and drifting. Not always though. But it feels like the whole game is stuttering.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure if you're seeing odd mechanics of the game or it's something else.

The game does tend to load from the storage a lot, wouldn't be surprised if pagefile is quite large even with 16GB ram.

Buggy Nvidia drivers can cause problems also and not always reliable even if latest. Nvidia enhance drivers for new release games and during the process may break others until enough complaints are had at Geforce discussion formus for something to be done to fix. Not that's its the case here but possible.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Talking about pagefile, check it out in memory tab in task manager and see committed. Whatever maximum size you see, manually adjust pagefile adding 10GB more.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

Example:
Virtual-Memory-dialog-box-inside-of-Windows-10.jpg

First see what committed says then add more.

memory-performance-taskmanager.jpg

In this window, committed says 16.3/25.4GB. So if this was you, set pagefile initial size, can leave at 6144 and maximum set to 35GB. 10GB more than what committed says for you.

Apr 25, 2018
Boju, first of all, I'm terribly sorry for downvoting your last post. I went back to work and I'm using mobile and I accidentaly touched the screen inbetween costumers at work :)
I'll look into page file as soon as I get back from work and then I'll update this post. In about 5 hours or so. Thank you very much

Apr 25, 2018

Okay, so here's everything I've done for now. In nVidia settings I turned on Triple buffering, set vsync to fast, maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 and I increased the page file as you told me. And I also uninstalled newest nVidia drivers and installed previous version (but I don't really see any difference in performance). I'm using borderless and frame limit 60 with almost everything on ultra, only few settings slightly lowered.
Overall, the game runs amazing, it's smooth and fast as it should be. There are some hiccups but not as often as before. And I did get some stuttering when driving through town. It's far from unplayable, but kind of annoying and I still think I should get more out of my setup.

About driving and that strange jitter or stutter. I found out that if I don't move mouse to look around while driving, it's totally smooth. And if I use the mouse to look around it starts to stutter. Not the game, but camera. It's strange.

Apr 25, 2018

I decided to mark the post as solved. Increasing page file definitely helped and looking around forum I also found you help someone having stutters by saying to disable fullscreen optimizations. After doing all this I can say there is 90% improvement from when I started playing few days ago. There are still some hiccups now and then when driving around, but overall the game runs smooth.

It does look like the remaining hiccups are related to optimization, so I'll just live with it.

Thank you to all of you for taking time to help.
If there are any other suggestion or anyone else has some experience with this game or it's settings, feel free to comment

Apr 25, 2018

I'm really sorry Boju for unselecting your answer, but I need some further help as things have gotten worse.

Yesterday I decided to unninstal and reinstall Wildlands, to see if it would solve the issue with that weird camera stuttering. Not only it didn't help, the things are a lot worse now. I barely get 45-50 fps no matter what settings I set. I tryed literally everything from lowest to highest. The game stutters no matter what. Not the camera this time. The frames are jumping between 35 and 50.

To see if it is only problem with the Wildlands I tried three other games, that were working flawlessly a week ago. And there is decrease in performance in every one of them.

Fallout 4 is running the best. Smooth gameplay with ocassional frane drop to 59, but no stuttering.

Gta 5 is stuttering constantly, not the harsh freeze like stutters, but more smoothly. But it is very noticable. Fps is jumping between 43 and 60 on game start, and then 58-60 when driving and walking around.

The worst is Middle earth: Shadow of war. When the game starts fps is between 30 and 37 with drops to 24, with exactly the same settings as I had before, no matter what frame limit or settings I choose. The graphic is also blurry and it stutters.

I unninstalled and reinstalled drivers four times without any change. I also tried last three versions of drivers and it doesn't help.

I have no idea what else to do besides reinstalling windows to see if there's any difference.
Anyone having any clue on what's going on?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If all you did was reinstall Wild Lands then there is no reason why your system is tanking all of a sudden.

Do the rounds, check temps, malware and recourses in task manager for any abnormally high cpu and memory usage.

Check Windows update history to see if any updates were installed since noticing bad performance and uninstall if possible.

I don't think its gpu driver problem. It could be another application running in the background not agreeing with Win10 for the moment.

When performance is terrible for no reason always alt tab and check task manager recourses to see whats going on.

Apr 25, 2018

There was a big update on 8th of may and a couple of security updates in the last few days. I was thinking about having something to do with it also.
I ran a game and was checking in task manager to see if I find anything unusual and everything was fine. Then I tried running hwinfo64 to check temperatures and my pc froze completely. I had to turn it off manually with a button. I noticed that reboot takes a long time, and soon I was greeted with blue "oops something went wrong" screen. And it would keep restarting.

I'm installin fresh windows 10 as I type this and I hope, the issue would be fixed. Will keep you updated

Apr 25, 2018

Okay, so after fresh windows install, everything is back to normal. I have no idea what actually happened, but I suspect it has something to do with the new windows update or maybe even one of the smaller ones that followed shortly after.
I did notice however, that one of updates installed new drivers for one of my hard drives. Maybe that had something to do with hwinfo freezing. I don't know

I'm only using clean win10 install, without any updates, and latest nvidia drivers. Games run like Usain Bolt now, so I'm pretty sure there was something with the update.

Even Wildlands runs relatively smooth and I'm using mostly ultra settings. Some hiccups occur during autosave and world loading but that's it.

I'm marking this post as resolved. Thanks Boju and all the others for taking your time to read and help.

Additional question for you Boju: when setting page file, what numbers should I write in fields. For instance, it's says commited 3,2/18,8. Should I just round the numbers like 3200 and 28800 after adding 10gb? Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Glad to hear it.

Windows 10 does have a habbit of installing updates on it's own though. Not like Win7 how one was able to control updates. Think from memory Win10 early version were able to manipulate updates but if you haven't changed any settings like that then it's only matter of time before it updates again.

Pagefile can be rounded off for convenience, there's no strict value guidelines. Go with the numbers you said.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not to say updates were the problem rather a problem that might've escalated from something else, won't know for sure so updates might all be good.

Though Game bar feature wasn't introduced until Creators Update and this has caused problems for many people in various games.