"Ghost" Steam Files

Canadian Chicken

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Hello everyone.

I'd say I'm okay with computers, but I just can't figure this one out.

So, I used to have Steam (The gaming platform) for a long time, but I recently deleted it. Now, about a year ago, I did something stupid. I moved all my Steam assets from my C: drive to my D: drive because I thought it would save space, but in reality, it just messed up my C: drive.

I was still able to use Steam normally on my D: drive, but even to this day, there are still "Ghost" files on my storage app of games from Steam, which I can't remove, can't interact with, and when I try to look for them in file explorer, just aren't there. The problem is, these ghost files take up space on my C: drive, and I can't figure out what's happening.

I've attached 2 screenshots to this post of my storage app showing some ghost files (mind you, I have more than 3), and also the error when I try to remove one.

If it helps, I have a Windows 10 OS, with an Intel i7, and 1TB of storage on my D: drive.

Screenshots:

Ghost Files

Errors

Solution
You moved the files from C: to D: manually, but did you move them back to delete them? The registry still points to the C: drive; therefore they have to exist on that drive or you need to fix the registry (presuming they still exist and you are familiar with regedit).
You moved the files from C: to D: manually, but did you move them back to delete them? The registry still points to the C: drive; therefore they have to exist on that drive or you need to fix the registry (presuming they still exist and you are familiar with regedit).

Solution