Ghost TV Turns itself on and off

Teresa_46

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
We have an older model Toshiba flatscreen TV that always worked fine when connected to cable. We disconnected and moved it to a different room. Now it randomly turns itself on and off, at odd times of the day and wee hours of the morning. I have tried resetting to factory settings. There are no timers set that I can see. I have unplugged and waited, once for several weeks, and we still wake up to find it turned on.

Solution
The first thing I would suspect some sort of faulty power button or some issue with the remote. I would try leaving the batteries out of the remote and see if it still occurs without batteries in the remote. If it does, then there's probably something strange going on with the television itself. At that point I guess you could try pushing the power button down very hard, or maybe even wedge a small flat screwdriver between the button and the plastic shell that surrounds it, or, to put it simply, mash it a bunch of times poke at it with metal objects. Obviously you don't want to cause any damage to it, but give it a firm ass-kicking in case the part underneath the button that makes contact with the circuit board is screwed up and...

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
The first thing I would suspect some sort of faulty power button or some issue with the remote. I would try leaving the batteries out of the remote and see if it still occurs without batteries in the remote. If it does, then there's probably something strange going on with the television itself. At that point I guess you could try pushing the power button down very hard, or maybe even wedge a small flat screwdriver between the button and the plastic shell that surrounds it, or, to put it simply, mash it a bunch of times poke at it with metal objects. Obviously you don't want to cause any damage to it, but give it a firm ass-kicking in case the part underneath the button that makes contact with the circuit board is screwed up and randomly making contact and turning it on/off

Solution

Teresa_46

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017