Walkthrough Ghostrunner Video Walkthrough

I thought GRID 2019 and Monster Energy Supercross The Official Videogame 3 were challenging enough on Hard mode, but this game has me sweating it out a lot just on the Normal mode.

I actually bought Ghostrunner just yesterday though, so I'm pretty new to it. I don't really know why I thought it would be a good break from the stress of having to hit every rhythm and whoop section near perfect at MESX 3's Nashville track to contend with the AI, but despite dying literally hundreds of times on first play through so far, the game is quite addicting. I tend to play it a bit skittish at times, especially where there's a few shielded guys and I have to get to their shield battery before killing them.

Interestingly enough though I've found you can at times sneak in and get a foe that isn't shielded, then safely destroy the battery, retreat to a safe place, then sneak in and take out one of the others where there's cover nearby to avoid getting killed right after, and activate a button that reveals a way to the next area, leaving one foe behind. At times you can avoid even groups of foes because there are often multiple platforming paths, and the right one can often take you straight to a button to activate a way to proceed.

Make no mistake about it though, Ghostrunner is designed for hardcore players, and I'm not even sure I can get through it. It's entirely made as an OHK (One Hit Kill) game, meaning you can always kill with one slash of your katana sword, but any single projectile or fall out of the intended play area will also kill you. It's a mix of frustration and nirvana once you get a flow going. I rarely can manage sustaining a flow, but it's fun and challenging in a puzzle-like way via the platforming.

The Ghostrunner you play as is like a Ninja Batman, and his grapple device is quite nice. If you don't like challenging wall running though, it may not be for you.

Reactions: Bassman999
Here's level 5, Breathe In. This was captured via level select, after playing through once prior. I managed to succumb to less than half as many deaths as the first time, but still well over 100. This level has a new enemy that leaps at great distance to do a lethal ground smash. They're easy enough to dodge one on one at distance, but when mixed with other enemies, can be tough to deal with. This level also introduces Cybervoid Uplinks, which boost your speed, effectively slowing time, and huge vent fans. You basically use the uplinks to get through these fans, and there's a few scattered elsewhere that help greatly with getting through enemies.

I picked up some new skills and boosts as well that extend uplink time, help reflect projectiles easier, and aid aiming. The Deflect Reflect skill reminds me a bit of bouncing blaster shots back at enemies in Jedi games, but it's far from automatic here, you need to time it manually.

Here's Level 6, Road to Amida, which introduces enemies that have a half circle shield that always stays in front of them as they rotate. Another new thing in this chapter is being able to hack quickly rotating objects in order to jump through them, or use their surfaces for platforming. For some reason they do not assign a skill, ability, or even name to this. Whisper just mentions you can do it.

It also introduces the Shuriken, and they can be used on electrical junction boxes that can turn off electrical hazards and open doors. Frustratingly, the very first Shuriken puzzle is by far the hardest. It involves 3 panels to wall run, the latter 2 of which require turning off electricity arcing through them.
The trick to getting past these panels is to hit the junction boxes on either side of the wall with a shuriken one right after the other so they stay off long enough to get through them. The other is to use sensory boost after the first 2 panels at the height of your jump, then dash to get to the next one. Otherwise you cannot get enough height and distance. The game gives you literally no onscreen hints for the technique required on these panels, despite no prior wall run panels being anywhere near as hard. As a result I failed the jump numerous times.
Lastly, at the end of the level, it gives you the Tempest skill. Tempest is sort of like a Force Push, which can kill groups of enemies, or send their projectiles back at them if timed right. This level started out feeling very difficult. I soon found though if you use the many grapple points available, you can make the shield enemies look geriatric. With Tempest now in my arsenal, I expect them to throw a much tougher enemy scenario at me in the coming levels.

Last edited:
Here's Level 7 Run-Up. This is by far the shortest and easiest level so far, which I wasn't expecting. The play time shown at the end was under 16 min, even WITH all the deaths, but after editing, it came out to just under 3.5 min. I was expecting to use the Tempest ability a lot, which was acquired at the end of the previous level, but found it harder to get used to than Deflect Reflect, which sends projectiles back at enemies via striking them with the sword. This requires precise aiming though.

This level has some tough platforming, in particular a segment that combines grappling, sensory boost jumps over rotating grinding cylinders, and precisely timed wall run jumps back and forth where laser panels are placed in between the safe ones. It also introduces mechs, which I was expecting. These are semi large bipeds, that shoot a wide beam. Timing is required to slow mo dodge them sideways, or slide underneath them.

A big part of what makes this level easy is most human enemies only have single shot pistols, except for a couple whom have assault rifles. As well, even the mechs once you get the hang of timing slides and dodges to avoid their attack, are relatively easy. Thus the only real challenge here is that tough platform sequence.

And here we have Level 8, The Gatekeeper, which is the first official boss fight. This is a huge security device with lasers and fire rings. It takes precise timing to grapple between the lasers and Sensory Boost wall run and jump along the perimeter wall panels to avoid fire. So this level is relatively short and has no human enemies at all.

Last edited:
OK, One More Level! Seriously though, it's Level 9, Dharma City. Saying One More Level seemed appropriate though, because it's not just the name of the dev team that made the game, I actually felt like this was the last level I wanted to play due to the fatal error crash bug many have reported hitting me for the first time. It's also the first level I've noticed signs in the game with the dev name on them. This level crashed anywhere from every 3 to 10 min, but oddly enough, the first time through it when I was seeing what it was like where I just kept respawning after deaths, it didn't crash once. It's not an extremely hard level, just one I felt I could finally do nonstop with no deaths. This level introduces a rail system you can hang from and zip along, and powerups that allow you to do super jumps.

So I finally after a couple days managed to pull off a no death run, but wasn't quite satisfied with the 4 min 10 sec time. I then experimented a bit with a less cautious approach, evading enemies where I could, and taking out only those in my path, or ones that needed to be cleared to open a door. The result was a MUCH better time of 3:42:70. Another goal was to finish with a full energy meter, as that's what enables you to use skills like Blink when you need them. I honestly did not know if a full meter even carries over to the next level, because mine is generally depleted at the end of a level. Turns out it doesn't, and while I could feel short changed by that, levels generally start with a few easy kills you can refill it with, so it's no big deal.

Other than a combination of evasion and kills to speed things up, tactics wise I stuck to Deflect Reflect to bounce projectiles back at enemies, and used Blink very minimally. While I CAN tell you also using Reflect Boost, which makes it far easier to deflect projectiles back at enemies, does in fact make it a lot easier, I also died several times attempting to deflect a closer range shot from that drone at the final battle. There's definitely a learning curve for adjusting from long to short range shots timing wise.

Last edited:
This is a level called Echoes, and I'm happy to report I had no crashing problems like I did in the previous level Dharma City. That was quite a relief, because Echoes is at least 5 times as long, and introduces Ninjas and Snipers. They're not a problem one on one, but when put in the mix with other enemies, you really have to think your way through and tread carefully.

Sometimes I play through a fair chunk of this level and the Ninjas won't say a word, other times they say things I don't understand. One almost sounded like he wanted to make Sushi out of me. I said no thank you, and proceeded to cut him in half. Snipers need be snuck up on carefully. Once they zero in on you you're dead. You can only be exposed for like 2 secs.

Aside from that, this level can be difficult at first to find your way. The platforming isn't too hard though, mainly just the navigating. I didn't even consider trying to achieve a no death run on this one, or even a non stop capture. I've read they've already greenlighted a sequel to this game, and I hope they consider revamping the checkpoint system.

My problem with checkpoints isn't that there's not enough of them, there are too many, and what bothers me most, is you can advance to the next checkpoint segment even if you die getting there. The problem this causes is your capture gets chopped up because of it. Either that or endure many hours until you get to know the level well enough to survive longer.

Despite dying many times, the end result came out looking pretty seamless. I included a handful of death respawns to avoid confusing seams though, in some cases where I advanced to another segment while dying. I'd like their next game to have an option to choose frequent, infrequent, or normal checkpoints, or at least make you advance to another without dying.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS