News Gifts for PC Gaming Kids: What I’m Buying My Son

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Headsets: Go for Quality, Wireless is a Plus
Quality because? A kid doesn't know or won't care about the difference in sound, and if you mean "build quality", a good toss across the room (without the wire hindrance) will take care of almost any unit.

Reactions: cyrusfox

elforeign

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Quality because? A kid doesn't know or won't care about the difference in sound, and if you mean "build quality", a good toss across the room (without the wire hindrance) will take care of almost any unit.

I really disagree with your post here. My dad 15 years back was entering in his mid-40s and was a pretty busy guy with work. However, he was always into computers (software architect back then) and so I was in my mid-teens and whenever he had some free time on the weekend we would sometimes bond over gaming, he was a big fan of doom and thanks to him so am I today.

He also taught me how to build computers, how to discern the quality of different components, how to understand RAM timings and compare...basically, how to be a savvy computer builder and pick out quality components without breaking the bank or at least understand my needs and come up with things that worked well for the budget.

In 1999 I was all of 8 years old and could already talk through how to build a PC. Let's be honest, it's just a more delicate lego set and dummy proof if someone has walked you through it a couple times.

My point is, kids aren't stupid, if they have good role models, guidance and someone willing to explain things to them, sure they may still get excited and display poor judgement (a la, yikes I got excited jumped up and yanked a cable right out and damaged something) but they are still capable of knowing good from bad, quality from junk, especially if they've had someone in their life that can talk them through things and work with them to build awareness and understanding.

My dad was also an avid music listener and collector, I remember the few times he saved up some cash to buy himself some new computer speakers or upgrade his sound card, it was clear as day when listening to something the quality was better when moving from integrated to say, an Audigy 2 ZS of the time, or the <Mod Edit> dell speakers to some quality Altec Lansing 4.1 setup of the time.

I really suggest you reconsider your viewpoint here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I really disagree with your post here. My dad 15 years back was entering in his mid-40s and was a pretty busy guy with work. However, he was always into computers (software architect back then) and so I was in my mid-teens and whenever he had some free time on the weekend we would sometimes bond over gaming, he was a big fan of doom and thanks to him so am I today.

He also taught me how to build computers, how to discern the quality of different components, how to understand RAM timings and compare...basically, how to be a savvy computer builder and pick out quality components without breaking the bank or at least understand my needs and come up with things that worked well for the budget.

In 1999 I was all of 8 years old and could already talk through how to build a PC. Let's be honest, it's just a more delicate lego set and dummy proof if someone has walked you through it a couple times.

My point is, kids aren't stupid, if they have good role models, guidance and someone willing to explain things to them, sure they may still get excited and display poor judgement (a la, yikes I got excited jumped up and yanked a cable right out and damaged something) but they are still capable of knowing good from bad, quality from junk, especially if they've had someone in their life that can talk them through things and work with them to build awareness and understanding.

My dad was also an avid music listener and collector, I remember the few times he saved up some cash to buy himself some new computer speakers or upgrade his sound card, it was clear as day when listening to something the quality was better when moving from integrated to say, an Audigy 2 ZS of the time, or the <Mod Edit> dell speakers to some quality Altec Lansing 4.1 setup of the time.

I really suggest you reconsider your viewpoint here.
I'm happy for you, your experience and everything your father did to teach you all those things and be the person you are. However, the reality is your particular experience is not even close to the average of today's society. I never said kids are stupid, but kids are kids and eventually something will break either by a fit of rage or by accident.

Not every parent is an audiophile that knows the difference between average and quality audio, therefore, they have little possibilities to teach their kid said differences. A parent with the knowledge most likely knows what equipment to get. In the end, the kids want something that works for its intended purpose.

I voiced my opinion about the recommendation. You're entitled to agree or disagree, just as I disagreed with suggesting to get "quality" (not implied if audio or build) as a gift for the average kid. They're not stupid, but the vast majority won't care about a $50 headset vs a $100+ unit.