Question Gigabit connection only connects at 100Mbit ?

Feb 22, 2023
I have a Windows 10 PC with a Realtek 2.5Gbe port connected to a Linksys EA9300 router. I can only get 100Mbit pass through on this, but get my full internet speed of almost 500Mbit on WiFi. I have tried 3 different cables, both Cat5e and Cat6. I have changed speed and duplex to Gigabit on windows adapter settings, which strangely enough still shows the connection is only 100/100 Mbit... I am sure I am missing something simple, but I don't know what. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I should note that this is a router upgrade, the previous router was 100Mbit and on a slower internet connection. Just in case that might help.

Thanks in advance!

Scooter

Update I connected the cable from my router, which was confirmed to be getting gigabit through it by other devices and connected the cable straight to the computer. No change in the speed detection. At least I ruled out router and cable this way though.

Last edited:

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Hello... I have some questions.

1. Have you updated your motherboard drivers, specifically the LAN drivers?

2. I have had similar issues in the past, unplug the power from your router and wait 5 minutes, plug the power back in and wait for it to sync all its connections.

3. I highly doubt this one but check the BIOS and see if there is a setting for that 2.5GB port and see if there is a limiter on there that is unaffected by Windows.

4. Go into the router settings by the IP address, something like 10.0.0.1 or something like that, check the manual for sure. Once your in check any and all settings and see if something is restricting the data cap, also try and see if there is a Firmware update for the router within the settings.

5. If all else fails than I would first replace the router or buy your own to avoid the monthly service rental charges assuming you got it from a ISP.

Reactions: Cj-tech

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I have a Windows 10 PC with a Realtek 2.5Gbe port connected to a Linksys EA9300 router. I can only get 100Mbit pass through on this, but get my full internet speed of almost 500Mbit on WiFi. I have tried 3 different cables, both Cat5e and Cat6. I have changed speed and duplex to Gigabit on windows adapter settings, which strangely enough still shows the connection is only 100/100 Mbit... I am sure I am missing something simple, but I don't know what. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I should note that this is a router upgrade, the previous router was 100Mbit and on a slower internet connection. Just in case that might help.

Thanks in advance!

Scooter

Update I connected the cable from my router, which was confirmed to be getting gigabit through it by other devices and connected the cable straight to the computer. No change in the speed detection. At least I ruled out router and cable this way though.
When did you last update your drivers/BIOS? That could be affecting your speeds.