[SOLVED] Gigabit ethernet stuck at 95Mbps

ember_darius

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Hello. I have a 500Mbps plan with a ONT ZTE F618 router that the ISP provided with a TP-LINK G3468 gigabit card. The problem is the network card won't work past 100Mbps, as only the 100Mbps light turns on and the speeds are as slow as they were without the network card. I have installed the drivers manually from the website as I don't have a CD-ROM, for windows 10 64-bit but nothing seems to work. The ZTE F618 has a 100/1000Mbps interface and it's supposed to work at high speeds. I'm using the ethernet cable that came with the router but I've also tried a different one. Also I have tried changing speed & duplex to 1GB full duplex but no luck. What could I try?

Last edited:
Solution
If it was 568a on both ends it would have been fine also. Maybe change the side back if you got it to work very well. I suspect it will still be broken

Since you got it to working 1 time it is likely some loose connection. Just touching or moving them slightly will fix this temporarily.

The best option is to pull all the wires out on both ends cut off about 1/2 inch and then repunch down both ends. You might have a bad jack so you could consider replacing the keystones.
If the port is running at 100mbps there are only 3 things that can cause this. The port on the pc, the port on the router, or the cable. You want to leave all the settings on your pc on auto. The router is on auto and can not be changed and it gets confused if only 1 side is auto.

This is almost always a cable issue. Cables are very strange they can work on some machine and not others. It takes 1 pin just making partial contact and you can't really fix it.

Try a new cable. You only need cat5e but it must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire 22-24 (no flat or thin).

ember_darius

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
One cable I've tried has with no luck has the following specs: AWM 329905 STYLE 24AWG 60*C 30V YW-1 TIA/EIA-568B.2 CAT.5E PATCH CABLE. I can provide some photos if it could help. Thank you.

ember_darius

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Why did you add a network card? Does the motherboard network port not work?
Is your connection directly to the router or does it go through wall plates and in-wall cabling ?
I wasn't sure if my motherboard could handle those speeds ( asus h81m-k). And the ethernet cables from my router go through the wall and to a ethernet port in my room's wall which i connect the pc to.

kanewolf

Titan
I wasn't sure if my motherboard could handle those speeds ( asus h81m-k). And the ethernet cables from my router go through the wall and to a ethernet port in my room's wall which i connect the pc to.
Your problem is probably not with your patch cable(s) but more likely with your wall jacks. You need to pull each wall plate out of the wall, verify there are 8 wires and redo both ends with the 568B color coding. A bad wire in the wall jack is just like a bad patch cable.

An H81 motherboard should be capable of gigabit ethernet. I would use the on-board ethernet if it was me.

ember_darius

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Ok but how would I go about redoing the ends with the 568B color coding? Because I don't think my ISP can do it. Also I noticed it says 5e on the wall plug so I guess the wall cables are cat5e.

Last edited:
Most wall jacks have what is called keystones in them. All you do is match the colors one the jack to the wires. You are going to have to do some reading or watching youtube it is not one of those things you can put the instructions in the trash and it works by magic. Other wise you pay someone and I would bet it will be at least $100 for someone to come out to your house and do even very simple stuff.

ember_darius

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Hello. I have managed to change it to 568b on one side and it works very well. But i did the same thing in the other room and it still won't work at high speeds. What could the problem be?

If it was 568a on both ends it would have been fine also. Maybe change the side back if you got it to work very well. I suspect it will still be broken

Since you got it to working 1 time it is likely some loose connection. Just touching or moving them slightly will fix this temporarily.

The best option is to pull all the wires out on both ends cut off about 1/2 inch and then repunch down both ends. You might have a bad jack so you could consider replacing the keystones.

Solution

ember_darius

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

What I meant was that we have 2 rooms. In my brother's room it works well still but in my room after we did the same thing as in his room ( as we have 2 different ethernet cables going to each of our pcs) only mine doesn't work. I believe as you said that it's a bad keystone and someone will come tomorrow to take a look at it. Thanks a lot for your help.