Gigabit ethernet, yes or no?

Stag1928

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Just got a netgear N600 dual band router yesterday and it's fast as heck on wifi but I noticed that it doesn't have gigabit Ethernet In the back which was surprising. I also got a new mac for work yesterday which supports gigabit Ethernet so I'm curious if there would be a noticeable difference between them. A thread I just saw had said gigabit Ethernet is really only good for intranets that are constantly passing large files around and that regular internet use and even gaming won't be able to fill up all the bandwidth. I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify this.

Thanks!

Solution
What you've heard is true. You won't notice any difference while browsing the internet. Your router isn't the only piece of networking standing between your computer and the internet. The bandwidth of your connection to the internet is the minimum bandwidth on this path. Also, some devices share the same port/path to multiple users and the bandwidth is also decreased, based on the traffic they're doing. Moreover, I don't think your internet provider gives you a subscription with more than 100Mbit/s, so don't worry about the lack of Gigabit Ethernet ports on your router, it will make no difference.

adycopilu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
What you've heard is true. You won't notice any difference while browsing the internet. Your router isn't the only piece of networking standing between your computer and the internet. The bandwidth of your connection to the internet is the minimum bandwidth on this path. Also, some devices share the same port/path to multiple users and the bandwidth is also decreased, based on the traffic they're doing. Moreover, I don't think your internet provider gives you a subscription with more than 100Mbit/s, so don't worry about the lack of Gigabit Ethernet ports on your router, it will make no difference.

Solution
Thing you have to remember is the speed you wind up with can only be as fast as the slowest link between the points the info is coming from and going to. So in order to benefit using gigabit ethernet all of your network and all of the network of the other system you are sending\receiving info from would also have to be on gigabit connections. IE. if using the internet chances are the fastest connection you will get is less than 100Mbs even if using a very fast internet provider and most likely even slower than that so gigabit ethernet will have no advantage over a slower connection since the data can not flow any faster than the speed you get from your internet provider. So as you mention the only place it really helps is on an intranet where all devices are using gigabit connections.

Stag1928

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I'm on the Cox 25mbps so I guess that does make a lot of sense now and I think the highest they have is like 50mbps.. I guess these there's no sense in these companies selling older technology even if the newest stuff can't be fully utilized. It's almost like a highway, a 600 hp Ferrari is great but if the speed limit is 65 then a Chevy Malibu will do just as well ha. Thanks again though, I wish I could vote up both your responses.

Exactly --- but once they build a superhighway between your home and work where they allow you to travel at 200MPH the Ferrari starts to show it's advantages ! (Until everyone starts using it with their Malibu's and it gets so congested you can't get anywhere near top speed again !)

Stag1928

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
"Exactly --- but once they build a superhighway between your home and work where they allow you to travel at 200MPH the Ferrari starts to show it's advantages !" that's the autobahn in Germany haha. I just discovered that Cox has 150mbps though I guess like you guys said unless everyone is using 150mbps, the transfer will be as fast as the source that's sending it

Yep - unless you are getting several different things from different locations at the same time which would be about the only time you'd come close to using the max capacity of that connection which is why you have to consider what you are using the connection for when deciding whether the extra cost is worth the investment.