Gigabit LAN connection

Jun 21, 2018
Hi,

I have here an awkward situation due to the fact that all is well setup to have 1Gbps LAN connection. And I wonder if you could take a look and share your thoughts.

However, as you can see by the following screenshots, something is missing. This morning I got a CAT6 cable to connect the computer to the modem. Modem is a Thomson Technicolor TG789vac v2 - last generation.

The card states 1Gbps link:

-

Windows adapter also states 1Gbps network link

-

Router ports speed also states 1Gbps

-

Contracted ISP internet speed of 100Mbps

-

This is what I get in Windows Task Manager Performance Tab reading: 100Mbps ...

What is your question. You will never get more speed than you pay your ISP for. The connection between your house and the ISP is likely not gbit so that will be the bottleneck. Even if you had say a google fiber connection that was gigabit if you only paid for 100mbits they would put a artificial limit on it.

Jun 21, 2018
I’m not talking about the Internet Speed. Rather talking about the Local Network Speed, which is independent from the WAN speed.
My question is obvious: shouldn’t the connection between the router and the desktop be 1Gbit? As stated Windows reads it as max as 100Mbps.
That’s the thing.

That screen is very blurry when I look at it but that appears to be a utilization screen.

The port on your machine and the port on the router are both 1gbit so you do have gbit between the router and the machine.

If you transferred data from the internet it will be limited to 100mbits. You would have to transfer data to another machine on your lan to get the gigabit speeds.

Jun 21, 2018
I see. It makes some sense... So, it’s giving me max what I can download from the Internet.
I thought that it would enter from the internet to the router as 100Mbps, and then transmitted from the router to the machine as 1Gbit.
So, if I get 1Gbit internet, theoretically I'll get 1Gbit directly to the machine? I know it never reaches those figures though.
Have to try sending files over the network to test it.
Thanks a bunch!

It technically does transmit to the router at 1gbit but the display is a AVERAGE time. The port actually only runs at 2 speeds. It runs at 1gbit or it runs at zero. So if it transfers data at 1gbit for one second and then nothing for 9 seconds the average over 10 seconds is 100mbps.

It is pretty useless to show a instant rate you would always see 1gbit or zero.

Data transfer rates are actually fairly complex even beyond the simple port speeds. You quickly get into discussions of delays caused by the speed of light limiting some transfer rates.

For your normal consumer the average rate represents a number they can easily understand.

latency is how fast it travels to you. bandwidth is how many packets can be transmitted per second.

if you signal someone with a light no matter how fast you click it on or off the light is still traveling at the same speed. if you click it really fast you can send more signals over in a fixed amount of time.

Not sure what this comment pertains too. I was trying to without explain the concept of tcp window size indicate that the speed of light can cap your transfer rates.

"I thought that it would enter from the internet to the router as 100Mbps, and then transmitted from the router to the machine as 1Gbit."

I see.

Mostly this thread is the confusion new people have and us old timers forget how strange some of this stuff is.