Sep 13, 2019
sorry for the bad English. I have a gigabit connection (940mb day1 700mb tested with my laptop port today) my motherboard is an MSI z170 gaming m5, the LAN port is e2400 Atheros killer, the cable is cat6, the switch is gigabit and it always worked.

For a bit, I found the connection not fast as always. I found my speed test at 140mb, I tried updating drivers, cleaning the drivers and installing it from scratch, no luck. then I thought the LAN port was broken or something because I tested the same setup with the same cable etc with my laptop and the speed test was 700mbs, so I ordered a USB 3.0 to gigabit from amazon basics. and the results were the same.... then I thought to test the new sandbox virtual machine with windows 10 1903. and... the results were 400+ MBs.. with the hyper-v virtual ethernet adapter inside the sandbox. both the e2400 and the USB adapter are listed as 1gb links. the duplex is in auto-negotiation by default in both. ipv6 is not the problem. I haven't found any program that could limit the bandwidth like that.. the only one was killer device center but I uninstalled it.

I need help. it's a crazy situation. I do not want to fresh start windows 10...

to recap: the cable is good because I can get 700+ on my other laptop I tried resetting netsh etc with no luck the speed inside VM is 450+ and outside is 145 I tried in safe mode, still 145. QoS limiter is not the cause, disabling it I only gained -1 or -2 ms of ping at the same speed. I don't want to nuke the os.

Last edited:
Solution
Some of this just depends on the actual capability of the network adapter. I have a Dell 5510 workstation laptop and I can NEVER get above 400 mbps with the included USB 3.0 adapter and gigabit connectivity, gigabit networking/switch in my house. If I check connectivity using the same exact cable to my desktop, I can easily reach 900+ mbps on most tests reliably. My son's Lenovo laptop has built in RJ45 port and it gets around 600.

Interestingly enough, my Dell workstation server has dual gigabit RJ45 jacks and while I do have 2 VMs that run using 'supposedly' gigabit capability, it is still a virtual port that has to trunk over the physical connection, while being shared with the actual hardware device.

It sounds like you are...

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
sorry for the bad English. I have a gigabit connection (940mb day1 700mb tested with my laptop port today) my motherboard is an MSI z170 gaming m5, the LAN port is e2400 Atheros killer, the cable is cat6, the switch is gigabit and it always worked.

For a bit, I found the connection not fast as always. I found my speed test at 140mb, I tried updating drivers, cleaning the drivers and installing it from scratch, no luck. then I thought the LAN port was broken or something because I tested the same setup with the same cable etc with my laptop and the speed test was 700mbs, so I ordered a USB 3.0 to gigabit from amazon basics. and the results were the same.... then I thought to test the new sandbox virtual machine with windows 10 1903. and... the results were 400+ MBs.. with the hyper-v virtual ethernet adapter inside the sandbox. both the e2400 and the USB adapter are listed as 1gb links. the duplex is in auto-negotiation by default in both. ipv6 is not the problem. I haven't found any program that could limit the bandwidth like that.. the only one was killer device center but I uninstalled it.

I need help. it's a crazy situation. I do not want to fresh start windows 10...

to recap: the cable is good because I can get 700+ on my other laptop I tried resetting netsh etc with no luck the speed inside VM is 450+ and outside is 145 I tried in safe mode, still 145. QoS limiter is not the cause, disabling it I only gained -1 or -2 ms of ping at the same speed. I don't want to nuke the os.
If you have a spare wireless adapter you could hook it up to your pc and see if the result is different.

Sep 13, 2019
VMs, SandBoxing, VPNs require host machine to work hard emulating / translating all the calls. It is not "free".

And I'm just curious, what is that application (apart from torrenting movies) which requires full 1Gbps Internet connectivity?
google drive downloads are going 2mb/s while 40mb/s in the sandbox vm (sandbox is the windows 10 integrated vm)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Some of this just depends on the actual capability of the network adapter. I have a Dell 5510 workstation laptop and I can NEVER get above 400 mbps with the included USB 3.0 adapter and gigabit connectivity, gigabit networking/switch in my house. If I check connectivity using the same exact cable to my desktop, I can easily reach 900+ mbps on most tests reliably. My son's Lenovo laptop has built in RJ45 port and it gets around 600.

Interestingly enough, my Dell workstation server has dual gigabit RJ45 jacks and while I do have 2 VMs that run using 'supposedly' gigabit capability, it is still a virtual port that has to trunk over the physical connection, while being shared with the actual hardware device.

It sounds like you are making this into a much larger issue than it should be. If you have something that is mission critical, maybe a VM isn't the best route? You will always be at the mercy of virtualization, drivers working as intended and the simple fact that you are having an OS run in a sandbox on top of another OS which is always dependent on the host machine.

Solution
There are a number of reasons why the networking stops working in VMware Fusion. Validate each troubleshooting step to verify if it is true for your environment. Each step provides instructions or a link to a document to eliminate possible causes and take corrective action as necessary. The steps are ordered in the most appropriate sequence to isolate the issue and identify the proper resolution. Do not skip a step.

After performing each numbered step, check whether your virtual machine has an Internet connection. If there is an Internet connection, do not proceed with further steps.

Ensure that your Mac has a working network connection.
Ensure that the Firewall of your virtual machine is not blocking Internet access. For information on turning off your Firewall.
  • Ensure that the anti-virus program of your virtual machine is not blocking Internet access. Refer the Help menu of the anti-virus program or see the documentation of the manufacturer for instructions on configuring it correctly.
  • Run an anti-virus scan on your virtual machine to ensure that there are no viruses or other malware interfering with your Internet connection.
Ensure that the network adapter is enabled.

Change your adapter from NAT to Bridged, or vice versa. If one selection works, and the other does not, then the problem is with your network and not with Fusion or your virtual machine

To shut down the virtual machine, go to Virtual Machine > Shut Down or Virtual Machine > Shut Down Guest and then restart your Mac.

After your Mac reboots, reopen Fusion. Ensure that the correct virtual machine type is set.