Question gigabit network only running on 10mbps

odanaids

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Hi everyone

I have a gigabit network going through my home and my PC is only running at 10/mbps
I have put the same cable from same source into a laptop and the speeds are at 1000/mbps.

So I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. i could live with 100/mbps but not 10

I HAVE
turned my computer on and off again " 🆒 "
netsh Winsock reset
Uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter
installed latest lan driver
I have restored all BIOS settings to default
At this point I'm gonna have to reinstall windows just to see if it fixes the issue

I also notice my gigabit switch is running a orange port when I plug in my PC but not in the laptop

is my onboard network adapter f@*ed??

any ideas would be appreciated

View: https://imgur.com/a/zrGOTQr

Ryzen 5 1600
16gb ram
Asus Tuff b350m
gtx 1070

There is not much to this that you can change. Almost everything is handled at the hardware level a lot of it is not even controlled by firmware. You have done all the things that are suggested like reinstall the lan driver.

Even though I suspect you have done this check that the speed setting in the controller is on AUTO. Of course if it is on 10mbps that is your issue but even setting it to 1000 many times confuses the port. Still what most boards do it not work they do not change a hard coded 1000 to 10mbps that would defeat the purpose of a fixed configuration.

After this you either have defective ports or a bad cable. The cable is very cheap thing to try before you consider buying a new nic card for your pc.

odanaids

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
thanks for the quick replys

just checked speed setting on controller it is on auto
i tried two cables and the 1 i am using now was reading as 1000/mbps on my laptop

i have no idea myself why this would happen unless the port is faulty? but the mobo is like a year old?