Oct 25, 2020
I got gigabit connection. while i'm downloading at full speed, when the download speed reaches 25MB/s ( so for instance when the download is starting to reach max download speed) i completely loose internet connection for 10 seconds, the download speed goes to 0bytes and then starts over, unless i manually cap it (for example on a game launcher under 20MB/s. This only happens with my PC. I moved twice, in my house i had 100mbps fiber and it was fine, then i moved and got a brand new 1Gb fiber line, new modem, and after a while it started having these problems. Now i moved again; Still subscribed for a gigabit fiber line of another provider, once again another brand new modem and the same problem occurrs. So i believe it's something regarding the hardware. I also got a laptop (bought in 2019) and on it everything is fine.

Screenshots:
View: https://imgur.com/a/ikkJkd5

View: https://imgur.com/O0L8qb2

components:
H97 pc mate
GTX1060 6gb
i7 4770
16 GB DDR3
Windows 10

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
It is possible that your router (or router power supply) is overheating or failing.
It could be the ethernet hardware on your motherboard (which is getting old) is failing.
I don't have a definite root cause. A PCIe network card would be a cheap test tool

Oct 25, 2020
It is possible that your router (or router power supply) is overheating or failing.
It could be the ethernet hardware on your motherboard (which is getting old) is failing.
I don't have a definite root cause. A PCIe network card would be a cheap test tool
It can't be the modem, beacause all three times i moved i changed it entirely (and providers aswell). So i was tending towards the moderboard being too old and not managing these speeds. thanks for your suggestion!

I would factory reset the router and only configure the admin and the wifi passwords. There are many features that are very cpu intensive on a router. They generally don't crash but they will not transfer at the full gigabit speeds.

If you think it is your computer try to copy files between 2 machines inside you house. Copy very large files so that the overhead of the file structure does not slow you down. You can also use a old line mode tool called IPERF that should run at 900mbps in both directions.

Oct 25, 2020
I would factory reset the router and only configure the admin and the wifi passwords. There are many features that are very cpu intensive on a router. They generally don't crash but they will not transfer at the full gigabit speeds.

If you think it is your computer try to copy files between 2 machines inside you house. Copy very large files so that the overhead of the file structure does not slow you down. You can also use a old line mode tool called IPERF that should run at 900mbps in both directions.
I'm sorry i edited the post, hadn't been clear enough. When i moved the first time, my new modem (because i had a new one) was capable of reaching 1Gb (which it never did, but that's likely related to not downloading on any server that would use "full" bandwidth) whereas my previous one reached 100Mb /s since such was my contract. It was then i started to get these issues. My current one is a new one, from a different provider, but still for a 1Gb/s fiber line. So i'm excluding it would be a router issue, but i'll check what you suggested!