Discussion Gigabit service installed today but speed at my pc is 100mbps

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
So as the title indicates, Frontier was out today and upgraded my internet from 70/70 to 1 gbs. He also showed me using 192.168.254.254 that I'm getting the 1 gps from the box outside to my router. So the frustration is that when I'm at my pc, I used speedtest.net and it showed me only getting around 80mbps. Now the Frontier tech told me that I wouldn't be able to rely on that site because they don't test that high but certainly it would have been pinned to 100. The next thing I did was googled the issue and found that the bottleneck can be the ethernet adapter. I did check the adapter by double-clicking it in the network connections window. It showed my speed at 100Mbps. Then I checked the actual brand of adapter on this pc which I built a couple of years ago. It is an Intel 1219v. When I googled that it came back as a gigabit adapter. So what gives? Is there any software that governs the ethernet adapter that could cause it to not work as a gigabit adapter but instead revert to 100mbps? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Btw, my wifi speed is around 780 Mbps so there is obviously something up.