[SOLVED] Gigabit Switch connected to 100Mb Router question

1s3ct0wN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hello you all lovely people of planet earth, hows everyone doing on this beautiful Monday?:)

I have a simple question due to my very limited knowledge in networks.

Are the laptop and PC gonna communicate in Gigabit?

Thank You"!

The laptop and PC will have gigabit capabilities between them and the gigabit switch.
Lets say you have 300 Mbps Internet service connected to one of those 100Mbps routers.
Your Gigabit switch, laptop and PC won't get more that 100 Mbps Internet service.
But if you transfer files between laptop and PC, you will take advantage of the 1 Gbps speed.

The laptop and PC will have gigabit capabilities between them and the gigabit switch.
Lets say you have 300 Mbps Internet service connected to one of those 100Mbps routers.
Your Gigabit switch, laptop and PC won't get more that 100 Mbps Internet service.
But if you transfer files between laptop and PC, you will take advantage of the 1 Gbps speed.

1s3ct0wN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
That's all we need to transfer files between the laptop and the computer at Gbps speed, thank you!

lynx1021

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
I had a Belkin 300 Mbps router that I found wouldn't let but 50Mbps through on a 100Mbps connection, had to get a Gbps router to get full speed, threw the Belkin in the garbage!

SamirD

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I had a Belkin 300 Mbps router that I found wouldn't let but 50Mbps through on a 100Mbps connection, had to get a Gbps router to get full speed, threw the Belkin in the garbage!
Waste of electronics. There are people out there that have slower Internet connections that could have still used that.

To answer OP's question--Yes.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS