[SOLVED] Gigabit Switch vs. Gigabit Router does it make a difference? Switching Capacity?

Sep 5, 2019
Hello,
I transfer a lot of files between my PCs and my switch is already pretty old. Now i found out that there are Gigabit Routers to and not to expensive.
Would a Router make the files flow inside my network better compared to a switch? I mean the ports are also 1Gigabit, same as on a new Switch. I stream the audio from one of my pcs to another and every time i transfer lots of files the audio stutters, thats why I wonder if the router would make a difference or not.

I looked at a Zyxel 8-Port switch (GS1200-8) and it says Switching Capacity / Backplane = 16Gb/s, but there is no such information when I look up Gigabit routers like the Cisco RV130 or Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X.
Does someone know what makes more sense in terms of performance? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,
I transfer a lot of files between my PCs and my switch is already pretty old. Now i found out that there are Gigabit Routers to and not to expensive.
Would a Router make the files flow inside my network better compared to a switch? I mean the ports are also 1Gigabit, same as on a new Switch. I stream the audio from one of my pcs to another and every time i transfer lots of files the audio stutters, thats why I wonder if the router would make a difference or not.

I looked at a Zyxel 8-Port switch (GS1200-8) and it says Switching Capacity / Backplane = 16Gb/s, but there is no such information when I look up Gigabit routers like the Cisco RV130 or Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X.
Does someone know what makes more sense...
As u probably know, everything else being equal the dedicated box should be better.

But you have another issue.

These days, HDD are able to transfer ~1.5 gbps and currently switches top out 1 gbps. Naked numbers. So 2 choices:

1. Upgrade to a 10 gbit switch, still a little expensive.

2. Some smart switches have QOS, actively manage traffic flow so no one session can monopolize and able to give priority to audio/video streams. Unfortunately QOS implementation between vendor not quite standard, so u must do diligent research what works for you.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

Does someone know what makes more sense in terms of performance? Thanks guys!

No.
The 4 LAN ports on the back of a router IS a switch.
Exact same circuitry as a dedicated unmanaged switch.

"16Gb/s" on that device is simply 1Gb Up/Down on each of the 8 ports.
Just like a switch.

Solution
Sep 5, 2019
No.
The 4 LAN ports on the back of a router IS a switch.
Exact same circuitry as a dedicated unmanaged switch.

"16Gb/s" on that device is simply 1Gb Up/Down on each of the 8 ports.
Just like a switch.

If its the same, then I will just get the switch :) thanks! was hoping it would make a difference