[SOLVED] Gigabit Wifi slow ?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I have recently gotten gigabit fiber internet (upgraded from a 200/200 fiber connection). But one thing puzzels is the speed via wifi. If I run speedtest.net via my brand new laptop which runs Intel Wireless AC 9560 installed (which supposedly supports up to 1.73 Gbps), then at most I get 280/240. Same goes for wifi enabled desktop, Ipad Pro 2020 etc. But if I plug into the router using a wired connection with my laptop, desktop then I get 1040/940. I even placed myself just next to the router with first my laptop and then Ipad.

The router is a scandinavian brand called Icotera (which you guys properly don't know).

Could this be a wifi channel issue? Or that the router simply doesn't stream speeds over 300 Mbps over wifi?

Any thought?

Solution
Because it can actually use wifi channels that may be in use by things like weather radar. It is much easier to get 160mhz blocks when you use those channels. It is hard to get 160mhz of bandwidth to go any distance without interference so it tends to not work as well far from the router.

There is no free lunch though. DFS means it must monitor for signals like weather radar. If it finds them it must stop using the channels. So it all depends on where you live. In some cases this is always in use in other it is only when there are bad storms in the area. So your router may drop back during bad weather or if say a tv station decides to turn on its system.

Many routers did not want to deal with the complexity of meeting...
Mostly because wifi numbers are as close to outright lies as they manufactures can get away with. They biggest problem with that card is it is using 160mhz channels on 802.11ac. There are all kinds of issues running 160mhz channels so almost no devices or routers support it on 802.11ac. So your router likely can't use it. The newer wifi6 stuff can do 160mhz channels better but even that will not work with this card.

So that drops the number to 833. This is doing the standard lies of adding transmit and receive speed together. Your ethernet cables using that method is a 2gbit cable...but eithernet can actually run at full rates simultaneously unlike wifi. So in effect your wifi speed drops to 400 but this ignore a huge amount of overhead in the data transmissions.

Getting 300 in speedtest with the card you have is likely the best you can ever expect. Then again even the best cards are not going to be a huge amount more. No cards even come close to 1gbit rates in real life.

Reactions: Euroman28

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Mostly because wifi numbers are as close to outright lies as they manufactures can get away with. They biggest problem with that card is it is using 160mhz channels on 802.11ac. There are all kinds of issues running 160mhz channels so almost no devices or routers support it on 802.11ac. So your router likely can't use it. The newer wifi6 stuff can do 160mhz channels better but even that will not work with this card.

So that drops the number to 833. This is doing the standard lies of adding transmit and receive speed together. Your ethernet cables using that method is a 2gbit cable...but eithernet can actually run at full rates simultaneously unlike wifi. So in effect your wifi speed drops to 400 but this ignore a huge amount of overhead in the data transmissions.

Getting 300 in speedtest with the card you have is likely the best you can ever expect. Then again even the best cards are not going to be a huge amount more. No cards even come close to 1gbit rates in real life.

I still have an issue with 50% of my house, but I switched my router from automatic channel to automatic channel DFS. This means that every unit I use my living room can reach speeds like this.

View: https://imgur.com/a/MxljCQf

I don't know why this boosted the download speed so much? But its really something :)

Because it can actually use wifi channels that may be in use by things like weather radar. It is much easier to get 160mhz blocks when you use those channels. It is hard to get 160mhz of bandwidth to go any distance without interference so it tends to not work as well far from the router.

There is no free lunch though. DFS means it must monitor for signals like weather radar. If it finds them it must stop using the channels. So it all depends on where you live. In some cases this is always in use in other it is only when there are bad storms in the area. So your router may drop back during bad weather or if say a tv station decides to turn on its system.

Many routers did not want to deal with the complexity of meeting the DFS restrictions and do not support it.

Solution