Gigabit wireless router on fast Ethernet modem

TheWolfHowling

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Dear Tom's Hardware

I just upgraded to a new wireless router that also has gigabit Ethernet wired networking, however my modem only has fast Ethernet networking.

Is it really worth upgrading to a gigabit modem? Considering that my DSL connection would probably rarely, if ever, get over 10MB per second.

Thanks for you help

Solution
What Ronin is trying to say is that your internet is advertised in Mega-Bits per second.
So a typical speed is 15mb/s down and 3mb/s up. The Fast ethernet port is 100mb/s in both directions.

So you can see that you would need some super ISP to run faster than fast ethernet can handle.

popatim

Titan
What Ronin is trying to say is that your internet is advertised in Mega-Bits per second.
So a typical speed is 15mb/s down and 3mb/s up. The Fast ethernet port is 100mb/s in both directions.

So you can see that you would need some super ISP to run faster than fast ethernet can handle.

Solution
Austin, TX has great internet speeds.....300Mbps down, 20Mbps up from Time Warner Cable - AT&T has moved to those speeds in areas.....Google Fiber and Grande Communications both have 1Gbps - and the areas are increasing. With those speeds, upgrading the router makes since, as the router would bottleneck the internet speeds to 100Mbps.