Question Gigabyte network issue

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Hi,
I have 1x gigabyte linksys switch which feeds into another gigabyte linksys switch with CAT 6 cable then into my pb with has a gigabite network port and also into my Nas which has a gigabyte network card in it but when transferring to it I only ever seem to get 30/40Mbs transfer speed. Is this right? Or ami doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many times the network is not the bottleneck especially if you are using a inexpensive NAS device.

That number is a little low but it greatly depends on what you are transferring. When you transfer a bunch of little files the overhead is actually more than the data.

You also need to look at the performance of the disk systems on both ends. If you read the specs on drives you will see many can not get anywhere close to gigabit speeds especially for write operations. This is a extremely complex topic since a drive that is blank and written to is much faster than say one that has data fragmented all over it.

If you have a second machine you can try a program called IPERF to transfer between your machines. It should test the network part of the machines and not be impacted by disk/cpu memory etc. You should see rates in the 900+mbps range.

Your rates are still over 250mbps which means the ports themselves are running at gigabit speeds. It is not likely it is a true network problem. Watch the resource monitor in your PC and make sure you are not getting cpu load issues. I still suspect it is disk but you are going to have to research the transfer rates for the units you have to see if that is the problem.

Reactions: SamirD
bill001g is dead-on with his analysis. I actually am comparing files right now between two different nas units on a gigabit network. Each nas unit is capable of 80MB/s reads and yet my system is only using 40MB/s at the max of the network bandwdith. Why? Probably because it's a lot of small files right now. Earlier, it was spiking at 80MB/s, which is coming close to the gigabit limit, but that was probably because it was some large files that allowed both units to transfer at maximum speeds.

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Many times the network is not the bottleneck especially if you are using a inexpensive NAS device.

That number is a little low but it greatly depends on what you are transferring. When you transfer a bunch of little files the overhead is actually more than the data.

You also need to look at the performance of the disk systems on both ends. If you read the specs on drives you will see many can not get anywhere close to gigabit speeds especially for write operations. This is a extremely complex topic since a drive that is blank and written to is much faster than say one that has data fragmented all over it.

If you have a second machine you can try a program called IPERF to transfer between your machines. It should test the network part of the machines and not be impacted by disk/cpu memory etc. You should see rates in the 900+mbps range.

Your rates are still over 250mbps which means the ports themselves are running at gigabit speeds. It is not likely it is a true network problem. Watch the resource monitor in your PC and make sure you are not getting cpu load issues. I still suspect it is disk but you are going to have to research the transfer rates for the units you have to see if that is the problem.

I am usally transfer movie files which are around 1.5GB-ish

i have a laptop which is WiFi only or a Raspberry Pi 4 which has a gigabite port on it, which do you recommend?

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Raid 0 is striping so you would have no backup. Check if it is raid 1 or 0!

Under raid 0, you have a chance at saturating full gigabit, but raid 1 typically will not.
Ipref has confused me now running my pi as a ipref server my windows machine gets this error machine "iperf3: error - unable to connect to server: Connection refused"
and vice versa "connect failed: Operation now in progress"

I think it could be the RAID 0 slowing me down then, the NAS is a 2 drive one so my main drive is backup somewhere elese and the the 2nd drive in the NAS is backuped up somewhere else

TRENDING THREADS