Question Gigabyte 1070 ti problem

Feb 26, 2019
The card was working just fine until I moved all of the components into a new case today.
It starts crackling under load now like it has coil whine or something, it sounds normal if I crank the fans to 100% using nvidia inspector without anything running.
The thing is if I play a game for a while and turn off my computer it won't actually shut down, the monitor powers off but the components and the ventilators are still running.
It shuts down normally if I don't play any games and if I don't use the GPU as much.

I don't know what's wrong.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
I'm using an fairly old Asus B85M-G motherboard with an i5 4590 and a single 1070 ti.
I am not sure about the psu brand but it's a fairly decent 650W one, I could pull it out and check.
Could I have damaged the motherboard or the PSU somehow? All the IO ports seem to be working.

I tried and the drivers are up to date. Yes I am pretty sure that it's comming from the GPU.

Could it come from the 24 pin atx connection because they are fairly close and i cannot distinguish where it's from, could be somewhere from the motherboard.
When I unplug my monitor (connected via a hdmi cable) the sound slowly dies down and dissapears.

Last edited:

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
It's certainly worth checking your PSU. Just take off either side panel and you should be able to make out the model. Typically you shouldn't hear any crackling from connectors. If you can remove the side panels and then try and locate the sound from the component that might help.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
I'm using an fairly old Asus B85M-G motherboard with an i5 4590 and a single 1070 ti.
I am not sure about the psu brand but it's a fairly decent 650W one, I could pull it out and check.
Could I have damaged the motherboard or the PSU somehow? All the IO ports seem to be working.

I tried and the drivers are up to date. Yes I am pretty sure that it's comming from the GPU.

Could it come from the 24 pin atx connection because they are fairly close and i cannot distinguish where it's from.

It may be the GPU but isolating the PSU as an issue will help exponentially in resolving your problem.

Feb 26, 2019
Yeah, wish i had another power supply laying around, but the sound's not comming from the PSU. I didn't have this problem before the case swap, weird.
Thanks.

Last edited: