[SOLVED] Gigabyte 1080 Ti OC weird fan noise

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Hey guys.
My GPU is making weird noises lately and it sounds like it's coming from the fan.
After monitoring it I noticed it's one of the fans that is making the noise when it starts or stops working.
It seems like it functions fine, it's just the noise and I can't understand what exactly is causing it because it doesn't seem like it's touching something.
It happens every 80 seconds for about 3-5 seconds when idle.
Here is how it sounds
Full specs:
Gigabyte Z170-HD3
I5 6600k
NH-U12S
HyperX Fury 2400MHz 2X8
Gigabyte GTX 1080TI OC
FSP Aurum 700W gold
MX300 250GBs
WD Black 1TB.

Last edited:
Solution
I can clearly hear the noise and I am associating the noise with the leftmost fan in the video.

The noise sounds to me like plastic hitting plastic.

And I have myself convinced that I see a slight narrowing in the black gap between the fan housing and the front cover. Bottom of the fan nearest the motherboard.

Sort of like the housing and cover are squeezing together and separating.

Between airflows, centrifugal force, and gyroscopic behavior that fan's blades (or perhaps just one of the blades) may be coming into contact with the casing surrounding it. Even the case may be twisting....

Take a very close look at the plastic casing and the fan blades. How rigid is the plastic? Does it move in or out, flex in some manner? Any...

Ralston18

Titan
"My GPU is making weird noises lately and it sounds like it's coming from the PSU."

Do you mean "fan" and not "PSU"?

Key is to identify the origin of the sound. You can use a long cardboard tube or even a rolled up paper tube to carefully focus your ear over the various fans to identify the specific fan in question.

Most likely the sound is some resonance that occurs with some particular fan speed (rpms). I.e. as the fan spins up and then later spins down going through the resonance rpm. And there could be multiple rpms involved.

Once the fan is identified try gently and gradually tightening or loosening the fan screws.

Idea being to negate the vibrations and resonance that may be occurring.

Failing that the next step would be to try some applicable dampers.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
"My GPU is making weird noises lately and it sounds like it's coming from the PSU."

Do you mean "fan" and not "PSU"?

Key is to identify the origin of the sound. You can use a long cardboard tube or even a rolled up paper tube to carefully focus your ear over the various fans to identify the specific fan in question.

Most likely the sound is some resonance that occurs with some particular fan speed (rpms). I.e. as the fan spins up and then later spins down going through the resonance rpm. And there could be multiple rpms involved.

Once the fan is identified try gently and gradually tightening or loosening the fan screws.

Idea being to negate the vibrations and resonance that may be occurring.

Failing that the next step would be to try some applicable dampers.
Yeah the first part is because I copied the text from and old thread of mine when I thought it was the PSU and forgot to change it.
It's definitely the first fan in my GPU.
Tightening the screws didn't help, again it's only making this noise when the fan starts or stops spinning (even when I manually stop it).

Ralston18

Titan
So the GPU fan noise is heard at low rpms as the fan first speeds up and then later on as the fan slows down.

Or when the fan physically first moves and then physically stops (or is stopped).

Provide more description about the sound itself.

Three fans - correct? Which fan is making the noise?

Does the following link show your GPU?

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TGAMING-OC-11GD

Pull the fan, inspect for debris, signs of rubbing touching, dust on blades, etc..

Reinstall per the User Guide/Manual.

Yeah the first part is because I copied the text from and old thread of mine when I thought it was the PSU and forgot to change it.
It's definitely the first fan in my GPU.
Tightening the screws didn't help, again it's only making this noise when the fan starts or stops spinning (even when I manually stop it).
I think it's probably bearing noise....and in my experience most likely it will get worse (although I have had it go away). If it bothered me, I would be replacing the fan.

Reactions: laker1706

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
So the GPU fan noise is heard at low rpms as the fan first speeds up and then later on as the fan slows down.

Or when the fan physically first moves and then physically stops (or is stopped).

Provide more description about the sound itself.

Three fans - correct? Which fan is making the noise?

Does the following link show your GPU?

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TGAMING-OC-11GD

Pull the fan, inspect for debris, signs of rubbing touching, dust on blades, etc..

Reinstall per the User Guide/Manual.
I put a link to the sound of it in the main post.
It's almost like an electricity noise...That's why I thought it was my PSU at the beginning and that's also why I care about it so much...because you cannot ignore it, I can hear it even when I'm wearing my headset listening to music.

Yes that's the model.

Maybe I should just contact the seller for warranty? I still have it but it will force me out of my PC for a week or two. :(

Ralston18

Titan
Listened to the sound per your first post.

(FYI there seems to be a second track attached to the first track that immediately blares rather loudly. You should remove that second track.)

I heard some clicking noises in the first track but could not tell what they were.

Did you pull the GPU and inspect all of the fans?

What about the fan speed controls - have you experimented with any of the speed settings and controls via the AORUS Engine settings?

Reference:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/manual_nv_107_e.pdf

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Listened to the sound per your first post.

(FYI there seems to be a second track attached to the first track that immediately blares rather loudly. You should remove that second track.)

I heard some clicking noises in the first track but could not tell what they were.

Did you pull the GPU and inspect all of the fans?

What about the fan speed controls - have you experimented with any of the speed settings and controls via the AORUS Engine settings?

Reference:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/manual_nv_107_e.pdf
Second track is just another recording of that sound...

I don't think those clicking noises are related.

I did inspect all fans and tried to spin them, I know for sure it's the first one(just from listening)

I think this software is no longer available.
I did experiment with MSI afterburner, nothing conclusive, only thing that's for sure is that it only happens for about 3 seconds when it starts and 2 seconds when it stops.

Ralston18

Titan
So as the #1 fan starts and goes up to speed there is some rpm value that causes resonance/vibration.

And as the fan slows down (again going through the same rpm value) and stopsthe resonance reoccurs.

Some gentle tightening or loosening of fan screws, etc. may change the dynamics. If not completely at least enough to lessen the noise.

Clean the fan blades of dust, look for anything on the blades that could effect balance and cause wobbling.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
So as the #1 fan starts and goes up to speed there is some rpm value that causes resonance/vibration.

And as the fan slows down (again going through the same rpm value) and stopsthe resonance reoccurs.

Some gentle tightening or loosening of fan screws, etc. may change the dynamics. If not completely at least enough to lessen the noise.

Clean the fan blades of dust, look for anything on the blades that could effect balance and cause wobbling.

I inspected a little more and I'm no longer certain it's the fan itself, I disabled each one of them respectively and that noise was still happening, maybe it's the thing the makes the fans spin rather than the actual fans?
When idle they go 30 seconds @ 0%, then 30 seconds @ 29%.
For now I'm using MSI afterburner automatic fan control because I can't stand the stock fan behavior.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017

More conclusions:
The noise occurs between 0-18% fan speed and what is making it is the fact that the fans restart repeatedly at those speeds.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3fCtTi4Wxs

I set the fan curve to be at least at 20% all the time, should I use the warranty or it's no big deal?

Ralston18

Titan
I can clearly hear the noise and I am associating the noise with the leftmost fan in the video.

And I have myself convinced that I see a slight narrowing in the black gap between the fan housing and the front cover. Bottom of the fan nearest the motherboard.

Between airflows, centrifugal force, and gyroscopic behavior that fan's blades (or perhaps just one of the blades) may be coming into contact with the casing surrounding it. Even the case may be twisting....

Take a very close look at the plastic casing and the fan blades. How rigid is the plastic? Does it move in or out, flex in some manner? Any signs of blade/housing contact?

I would be tempted to try a small, carefully placed paper wedge to hold that small gap open or otherwise restrict any casing movement.

Will leave such decisions to you. But see what you can find.

Reactions: laker1706
Solution

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017

Take a very close look at the plastic casing and the fan blades. How rigid is the plastic? Does it move in or out, flex in some manner? Any signs of blade/housing contact?

I would be tempted to try a small, carefully placed paper wedge to hold that small gap open or otherwise restrict any casing movement.

Will leave such decisions to you. But see what you can find.

It's both the left and middle fans, I removed them and inspected even more but came up short.
Will keep trying and If I won't figure it out I'll have to decide whether I'll contact the store for warranty or I'll just live with a custom fans profile because the noise is only @<17% and I'm not sure if that's okay to run your fans @>20% all the time or not.

Ralston18

Titan
Generic question: Does the GPU case/fans/housing etc. feel flimsy and weak? Flexes, bends, twists?

Before you replace the GPU go back and read product reviews. Visit the manufacturer's website and view any FAQs and Forums.

Find out what is being said and, perhaps, not being said.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Generic question: Does the GPU case/fans/housing etc. feel flimsy and weak? Flexes, bends, twists?

Before you replace the GPU go back and read product reviews. Visit the manufacturer's website and view any FAQs and Forums.

Find out what is being said and, perhaps, not being said.
The housing feels very cheap and bends easily, tbh the cards feels like an aliexpress toy...
I searched up the issue but couldn't find anything similar, but I did find is a bunch of complaints and other failures...

Ralston18

Titan
Depending on your comfort zone you may be able to provide some support or otherwise strengthen the housing.

Do not use anything conductive and do not jam things together. Just watch what is going on and try to restrict, reduce movement. Small incremental steps.

Do not do anything while the computer is powered on. You may not find a permanent fix but if you can change the dynamics/mechanics enough the clicking may end or shift.

Either way, end or shift, that likely demonstrates a deficiency in the card's design and/or physical construction.

Mahisse

Distinguished
It's strange because I defintely agree that it sounds like one of the fans are hitting a part of the container. Like someone else said plastic against plastic - and you can clearly hear in the video the sound pitches and follows the speed of the fans. But then you say you did try to switch them of one by one and the sound persisted?
Did you check if the fans' mount are a little lose? Perhaps it's the vibrations of a lose fan.. Even if it's just a tiny bit.

TRENDING THREADS