Gigabyte 1080Ti isn't even stable with 100% voltage & + 95 core

JX432

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
How are some people overclocking their gpu to 2GHz + I can't even get mine to +95 core clock without GTA V instantly freezing. I know every GPU is different but damn... Some cards function with the core set to +130 and +500 memory.

u4zzySn.png

xjwUQdU.png

+85 Core + 300 Memory isn't stable either.

PC Specs:
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING OC 11GB Video Card Model GV-N108TGAMING OC-11GD
i7-8700k @ 4.8GHz
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming WIFI
G.Skill Ripjaw V Series 3600MHz

Solution

Okay well you didn't mention temps so I assumed you were not watching them. Also the voltage control on GPUs is up to the board partner to control. Most have that locked down...

iamacow

Admirable
You should run a benchmark in the background like Heaven so you can actually see the clock speed. Also start without that extra voltage. leave the slider at 0 and find your maximum clocks without higher voltage. 1518 is actually lower than stock speeds, so something going on ...

But first leave everything at stock (zero on the sliders) and run Heaven to see what your clock speeds actually are. Than work your way up. If it doesn't move past 1518 than you have a bigger problem.

You don't mention if you have a custom GPU cooling fan profile set in AB. At face value this sounds like you are hitting thermal throttling under load. But if you do have one set and it is as aggressive as your overclock is, then yes something else is going on. By aggressive I mean running at 80% or higher fan speed at say 75-80C for max temp.

JX432

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure it was reading 1518 because I didn't have a game open. It boosts up to 1900 + when the GPU is being utilized.

It's been a while since I've messed around with my AB settings but when I open the app and run it in the background, I have it set to turn on the custom fan profile by default "Enable user defined software automatic fan control" in the check box under the Fan tab (you get to this pop up control window by going into the settings button or the one that looks like a gear sprocket). This controls the fans for whatever profile you set up (tutorial here using an older interface but the Setting Properties popup window is the same):

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=161235.0

It looks like your screenshot has "auto" set on the fan speed so even if you set it at 100% it may not override the BIOS fan controller via auto. But you are not getting fans spooled up in any event, meaning you likely are getting thermal throttling under load.

JX432

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

Something else has to be wrong. I have Enable user defined software automatic fan control checked and it still won't change the fan speed. And how can it be throttling when the GPU's temperature never exceeds 79C? Auto is doing a good job keeping the GPU temperature under control.

Edit: I manged to get +800MHz memory clock & +80 Core Clock stable. If I make the Core Clock any higher the application utilizing the GPU crashes. Adjusting the voltage and power draw doesn't help me get core clock any higher. I guess this means +80MHz is the limit for my chip?

Okay well you didn't mention temps so I assumed you were not watching them. Also the voltage control on GPUs is up to the board partner to control. Most have that locked down in BIOS so no amount of software control in a "power limit" setting will override past the threshold of voltage of whatever the board partner set.

My EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming can run at +110MHz on the core and +353MHz on the memory stable. Any higher on either/both and I get artifacts or crashes. Like CPUs, every GPU is different and even the same make and model might be better or worse than its counterpart in comparison. So it sounds like you just found your O/C limit on that card.

Solution

The issue here imo is GPU boost 3.0. I just got done with a session of Sniper Elite 4 with my resolution at 1440p(DSR) and settings set to ultra.
GPU_Boost_3.0.png
Do you see the GPU's temperature? That's your goal. Well, that's your GFX card's goal. Reduce the temp. down to 55C or less. The reason I picked my EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid Gaming was because of how cool it stayed under pressure. https://overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/evga_gtx_1080_ti_ftw3_hybrid_review/7 did help with my decision. After 55C you're looking at OC throttling instead of thermal throttling. You have hit and passed the thermal wall for GPU boost 3.0 but you haven't met the thermal wall for the card so it isn't thermal throttling just yet.

Have you ever listened to the radio? I've no clue how they shrink so many people but EVGA has managed to fit more than a few peeps in this card. The only ones important at the moment are staff behind GPU Boost 3.0. They are getting together to offer the user the best possible experience with the card. Have you ever manually OC'd? You pay attention to certain variables. So does 3.0. It will auto-OC your card until it hits one of its predetermined limits. One limit is 56C. Once it hits there it will, as you have see in the past, start to roll back the OC in favor of a cooler GPU. Once my Ti hits 56c the coreclock drops 13MHz. Your card is over 20c warmer. How many 13MHz penalties has it received?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/15. While the cards may be different GPU Boost 3.0 gets the spotlight on that page. .

While it isn't thermal throttling it is scaling back the OC due to heat. Thermal throttling would only be indicated if the clock(s) were dipping below stock such as 1469MHz 100Mhz below stock) for the core clock.

GPU Boost 3.0 will start dropping clocks after 59C on any modern GeForce card. This is normal behavior. This is why the hybrid and watercooled cards will perform better from sustained boost. My 1080Ti will boost to 1950+ out of the box and stay there, but this is because of custom loop.

And mine boosted to 2000MHz. I'll take that.

Kinda curious as to why you're using MSI Afterburner software with the Gigabyte card, the Aorus software engine works great.

Just out of temperature curiosity I ran Unigine Heaven and Valley and the Gigabyte 1080Ti ran automatically at 1999mhz at 33c.

My card is water cooled on it's own loop by a Watercool MO-RA3 rad with a full coverage EK water block.

The card is toasty if you are running it air cooled and will throttle to protect itself.

My personal suggestion is to pull the air cooler and inspect the thermal footprint of the TIM on the GPU die and contact with the Thermal Pads on the memory chips and VRs to make sure the heat sink was properly installed. Remount it with some good TIM like Gelid GC-Extreme using no more than needed to thinly cover the die, which means test fitting it to be sure, they used way too much TIM on my card.