Question Gigabyte 1080ti now has coil whine after PC upgrade

fayaflai

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Recently I upgraded my CPU from a 4770k to a 9700k. With that upgrade also came a new motherboard and RAM (because 4770k is old socket).
Ever since then I've been having issues with coil whine. At first I thought it was my PSU because it was 7 years old and at the end of its life. However with a new quality PSU the issue is exactly the same. I'd like to test my GPU in another PC but I can't at the moment. During idle and CPU benchmark there is no sounds at all. It only starts at ~35% GPU load and gets louder the higher the load goes.

Is it possible that the new motherboard is causing the GPU to have coil whine?

Lutfij

Titan
We will need more information. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Given how your PSU is 7 years old, it does raise eye brows. Include both the old and new PSU models.

You will need to understand that you can have the same sort of coil whine from the motherboard as well, I've had it on some system's and most don't notice it. I notice them all yet if friends, clients or folks don't react to it, I leave it alone.

It shouldn't be an issue with performance but if it's bugging you, you should contact seller and the manufacturer of the card to see if you can initiate an RMA.

fayaflai

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
@Lutfij Sorry for the lacking info

My current specs are:
mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
CPU: i7 9700k
GPU: gigabyte 1080ti
PSU: (brand new) be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600W
RAM: 2x8GB 3000mhz
Storage: samsung EVO 250gb and QVO 1`T

The coil whine with the new PSU and the 7y/o PSU is exactly the same. I did a close listen and I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the GPU. But I read that PSU's can cause a GPU to coil whine which is the reason why I replaced it.

Why I'm so confused is because my GPU never had any coil whine, and now all of a sudden it does. Maybe it's the motherboard causing it?