Question Gigabyte 2070 goes crazy with 4500 RPM Fan speed

Mar 6, 2019
While playing a game the GPU fan speed goes up to 4500 rpm for a few seconds and then back to 2500 rpm. Somehow the card gets hot very quickly and never goes below 40 C. I tried to use MSI afterburn for a fan curve, but it seems the fan speed monitoring is locked. It might be linked to bad air flow but i couldn't find similar problems online for other people having the same case. Furthermore i noticed the 4500 RPM only occur if the heat goes over 80 C. Which again seems strange because none of the people reviewing the GPU have had similar temperatures. It also happens in many games whether i play on low or high fps. (e.g.: World of Warcraft 60 fps has the same effect as on 144fps) In addition i have checked if everything was plugged in properly and couldn't find any mistakes made.

My setup:
-be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER11 CM 650W ATX24
-Enermax Liqmax II 240 AMD AM4 Version
-D416GB 2666-16 Fury Black K2 KHX
-GiBy8GB D6 RTX 2070 Gaming OC 8G
-GAM NVIDIA BF V oder ANTHEM DC
-SSD 500GB 2.3/3.4G 970 EVO PCIe M.2 SAM
-Intel Core i9-9900K 3600 1151V2 TRAY
-MSI Z390-A PRO Z390
-be quiet! SILENT BASE 601 Window bk ATX

Thanks in advance and kind regards.
P.S.: help me fix this airport simulating GPU pls :D

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have any fans aimed at the GPU's airflow path? Or at the very least do you have an optimal airflow whereby the GPU is fed with fresh ambient air? Speaking of which, what are you ambient air temps? Also, to note, are you on the latest drivers for your GPU?

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
So basically You don't have problem with fans. Fans work correctly - the hotter the card gets, the faster they spin, trying to cool it.

Your PC case seems to be OK, so i think of 3 options for now:
  • something is wrong with the card, that it overheats
  • something wrong with temp sensor on the card (is it really hot? can You check it somehow?)
  • bad air flow - make sure that air is being sucked at the front and blowed away at the back of the case (so check the air direction on 2 fans installed on the case). Mak sure there's no dust on the case filters.
Did You try it out with open case? (glass panel removed?)
From what i see, about 75 degrees C is a standard temp on this card at full load... Maybe IT IS just loud?
Did You check if all the fans are spinning?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019
@Lutfij @maziech

I checked the airflow which should no be the problem. There is the "Enermax Liqmax II 240 AMD AM4 Version " in the front of my case which cools the CPU via water and lets air through due to 3 fans. At the back end there is the fan blowing the air away. In addition I opened the case to check if temperature was real and not shown due to a damaged sensor. It definitely is real and the 3 fans of my GPU are turning around.
I could have solved the problem if only the fan monitory wouldn't be locked. My drivers are held up to date cia gforce experience. Maybe it's just normal to have this RPM since it start when temperature rises to 80 C.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Bez-tytu-u.png

Is it like this?

Mar 6, 2019
@maziech

Well the 3 arrows need to be turned inwards. Else it would definitely be the cause of all evil. I seem to have found the problem which has to do with the GPU Bios. I will send it back and ask for an updated one since I won't risk to flash it on my own.

Thanks a lot for the fast help guys.