Question Gigabyte 2080 Super OC Max Fan + Black Screen

Aug 18, 2022
When I'm playing games, I occasionally have my graphics card fans jump to max speed and the screen goes black. I can still hear things and have games respond to input for 10-20 seconds before the computer freezes and just sits there with max fan speed until I reset it.

This has happened on many games, including Wrath of the Righteous (temp right before was around 70 degrees C) and Elden Ring (temp right before was around 63 degrees C). But I've played XCOM recently for over 22 hours without any issues.

I was originally thinking it was a power thing. I bought a new 750W corsair PSU and it did the same thing.

I'm wondering now if it is a temp thing, and the temp just shoots up so fast (<1 sec since that's the hardware polling speed in MSI afterburner) that it's shutting down and I can't see the temp change or if there is an issue with the power connectors on the GPU themselves that's causing some weird short type thing.

How likely is it to be temperature related? I've had games play for hours between 70-73 degrees C and I've had it black screen within seconds at lower temps. It seems especially prone to black screening within minutes of starting a game if I've hard shutdown or restarted the computer.

What are some things I can do to pinpoint the issue? Should I try to replace the thermal pads and thermal paste on the GPU or is it just borked and I need to get a new one?

I've had since the end of 2019 and it went at least a year without doing anything like this.

Aug 18, 2022
For the most part yes. I have a small overclock on my CPU and I have the built in overclock on the RAM. It's an AMD board and the "overclock" for the ram is needed to bring it up to it's stock speed. Otherwise all settings are out of the box.