Question Gigabyte 3060 Ti on a single 6+2 pin ?

dontdisobeyy

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Im going to but a Gigabyte 3060ti from a friend for a really good price soon.

I understand that this particular model of the 3060ti has three fans and requires an 8-pin and a 6-pin cable from the PSU, unfortunately my psu only has a 6+2 pin.

Would I be able to run the GPU with a splitter or any other workaround? (Im going to upgrade my PSU soon also)

PSU: Aerocool Integrator 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Non-Modular PSU Power Supply

dontdisobeyy

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
No, get the PSU first, or the hardware could be damaged with any other "solution".

If you wanna try anyways and risk the well being of your hardware, you can try a 2x4pin molex to 1x6 pin PCIe adapter cable for a very cheap price.
I am probably gonna wait for a new PSU, but i am intrigued with the molex method in the meantime. What will most likely happen if i did try it? Would it work without any overclocking and just using the gpu at a normal rate?

So just the 8-pin with the other 6-pin empty is enough watts to run the gpu with no overclocks?
Should be but depends on what gigabyte have done. An 8 pin can carry 150W and you get 75W from the slot. Personally would get a new PSU anyway though because one with only a singular 6+2 doesn’t sound like it’s high enough to handle the GPU and a decent CPU at high load or peak load

dontdisobeyy

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Should be but depends on what gigabyte have done. An 8 pin can carry 150W and you get 75W from the slot. Personally would get a new PSU anyway though because one with only a singular 6+2 doesn’t sound like it’s high enough to handle the GPU and a decent CPU at high load or peak load
What do you think about a molex to pcie cable for the other 6 pin? Would that make a difference?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the connection is missing for a reason. the manufacturer knows it can't provide the power, so they did not include the connection. plain and simple.

trying to change a connection to look like another DOES NOT magically create more power.

if you need a cheap psu upgrade this is a great price for a good unit that will do the job.

550w for $40 or 650w for $50 you're call

but risking your whole system to some cheap adapter is def not the right idea here!!

list the rest of your specs and we can tell you which wattage is good for you.

What do you think about a molex to pcie cable for the other 6 pin? Would that make a difference?

DO NOT use a molex adapter. Maybe you’d get lucky and it would work but you also have a new gpu you likely spend hundreds on. I remember once working on a pc where they used a molex to sata power connector for a hard drive.

Long story short the connector caught fire and melted the connector on the drive. There were actually black scorch marks inside the case. One of the older style cases with a silver interior. So picture black marks on that finish.

Do you really want to risk a 400-500 dollar graphics card for a 2 dollar adapter? In the grand scheme, spend a few bucks to get a power supply that will work and not blow your system to kingdom come.