[SOLVED] Gigabyte 3090 and Mobo Dark hero not working in the first PCIe 16 slot

Jan 6, 2021
I have a weird problem with my motherboard and I hope someone can help me out.Basically I can't get a picture or get into the bios while my gpu is in the PCIEX 16_ 1 Slot. I tested it with both of my GPUs and none of them showed a picture. Only thing that is happening is that the motherboard drops the q code d6 and the vga lamp lights up.
So now the weird thing. If I put the gpu into the PCIEX 16_2 Slot everything work (besides that the gpu only runs at x8 in the second slot).
I already updated the bios, cleared the cos, booted with only one ram stick, but nothing works. The PCIEX 16_1 Slot seems dead. Does anyone have an idea how t fix this or what to try next?

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: 3080 gigabyte gaming oc
GPU 2: 3080 Tuf oc
PSU: Corsair ax1000
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
EDIT 1:
The 3080 from gigabyte works in the second and third slot. The TUF isn't working in any of the slots which is weird. Furthermore both cards worked in the beginning in the first slot

Solution
Everything there points to a GPU issue. If the GPUs work in slot 2, then the GPUs are fine. That means that slot 1 has an issue. It is probably going to require replacing the motherboard to fix, but I cant say for certain.

Does the TUF GPU work in any slots, or in any other PC? If it doesnt work at all, then it might be dead as well. If both cards used to work, and that slot used to work, and now slot 1 and the TUF are dead, it is possible that a PSU issue caused a short or something, which fried the GPU, and broke the mobo slot. Just a guess, but it could be. Make sure you have all the right GPU cables hooked up, and they are pushed in all the way, same with the PCIe slot.
Everything there points to a GPU issue. If the GPUs work in slot 2, then the GPUs are fine. That means that slot 1 has an issue. It is probably going to require replacing the motherboard to fix, but I cant say for certain.

Does the TUF GPU work in any slots, or in any other PC? If it doesnt work at all, then it might be dead as well. If both cards used to work, and that slot used to work, and now slot 1 and the TUF are dead, it is possible that a PSU issue caused a short or something, which fried the GPU, and broke the mobo slot. Just a guess, but it could be. Make sure you have all the right GPU cables hooked up, and they are pushed in all the way, same with the PCIe slot.

Solution
Jan 6, 2021
Hell Ttower,

Do you think that maybe it could also be a Problem of the CPU? I was wandering if maybe the CPU has some bad PCIe X16_1 Lanes and I should test an other cpu.

I guess its not a PSU Issue. The PSU is brand new and the Tuf lights up and the fans spin if I connect it with the motherboard. So I guess the card is not dead and the Problem is the Mobo.

erifino10

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Hell Ttower,

Do you think that maybe it could also be a Problem of the CPU? I was wandering if maybe the CPU has some bad PCIe X16_1 Lanes and I should test an other cpu.

I guess its not a PSU Issue. The PSU is brand new and the Tuf lights up and the fans spin if I connect it with the motherboard. So I guess the card is not dead and the Problem is the Mobo.
it could be the cpu, but if the other slot is working, theres a big chance that its the motherboard

Jan 6, 2021
Small Update:

I got a new cpu today a 5800.
Do the TUF is working in the second slot now but still the first slot is dead. Both cards don't work with the new cpu in the first slot.

So I guess the Mobo is broken and the PCIe slot is just dead. Only weird think is I got a x63 pump and I can still see the temperature of the cpu on the cpu display when I put the gpu in the first slot. So somehow the Mobo recognise the gpu but I can't get a picture ...

If that is the case, it is 99% the motherboard. As for why it is showing temps still, it is probably not the entire slot that is broken. There are still some parts working properly, but enough of the connections for the slot are broken, that the GPU doesn't actually work, despite being recognized, and showing some data.