[SOLVED] Gigabyte 5600xt WINDFORCE is running hot (due to 1440p?)

Mar 27, 2020
I completed my first build about two weeks ago.

I have a 2-fan 5600xt gpu from gigabyte (not the triple fan where most videos have been showing). Idle temps are around 57 C and when I play CSGO, my gpu is around 70 Celsius, seems a bit high for me. I am running at 1440p and 144 hz (I know it is more of a low end 1440p card). PUBG runs around 85 celsius at medium settings (no FPS Cap in game).

Other info of my build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6 Core AM4 Boxed Processor

MOBO: B450M Pro4 AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard

RAM: Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600

Case: MasterBox Q300L mATX Mini Tower Computer Case

PSU: 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce Overclocked Dual-Fan 6GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Video Card

I am planning to get an intake fan to go along with the single exhaust fan, I'm hoping that will help a bit (maybe lower around 6 celsius?) since it is a smaller case. But since I am running 1440p, is running this hot just the nature of the beast? I am considering returning this and getting the 3 fan Gigabyte 5600xt where the drivers and BIOS are more up to date, not sure if that will help or not though. I couldn't find a lot of info on the WINDFORCE/2 fan model.

And are these temps ok for a gpu?

Thanks for any advice and tips.

Last edited:
Solution
The problem is 100% the case. It's designed and marketed for high airflow, but I guess Cooler Master's engineers or QC didn't bother to actually test the bloody case.
The front panel is DECEPTIVELY restrictive.

Adding a fan could help, or it may have the opposite effect.
If you just have 1 fan in the case, then the airflow should be that of a negative pressure; drawing in air from any open spaces.
With that front panel acting as a choke point, I'm expecting the addition of a front intake fan to recirculate the already warm exhaust air back into the case...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The problem is 100% the case. It's designed and marketed for high airflow, but I guess Cooler Master's engineers or QC didn't bother to actually test the bloody case.

If you just have 1 fan in the case, then the airflow should be that of a negative pressure; drawing in air from any open spaces.
With that front panel acting as a choke point, I'm expecting the addition of a front intake fan to recirculate the already warm exhaust air back into the case...

Solution
Mar 27, 2020

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it might just be the nature of the case. I don't have any thermal throttling or crashing at all. It just seemed a bit high for a low demanding game like CSGO. It is livable though haha.