Question Gigabyte 6600 XT poor performance

shanyin37

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Hi, I am posting this for my Dad because he recently got a great deal on a 6600 XT Gigabyte Windforce and now he's disappointed.

He is getting around 20-30 FPS in Ghost recon wildlands, and similar performance in the Division 2 (Division 2 is his main game)

He tried Outrides and over the phone he was telling me he was getting 10 fps then it was jumping from very low to around 60 and getting screen lag. He is thinking of taking it back.

Specs that I can provide:

ASRock B450m Pro4 motherboard
Ryzen 5 2400G
16 GB RAM
Crucial SSD

Drivers were installed according to him and now he's trying to reinstall Windows. Maybe he needs to update his motherboard? I'm not a computer Wiz.

Any help would be appreciated.

shanyin37

Honorable
May 23, 2017
He said he went from a CX450 corsair power supply to a CX650 power supply. He was using the 450 but changed to a CX650 and that's when he said it started underperforming.

I welcome any questions about his components.

He said he went from a CX450 corsair power supply to a CX650 power supply. He was using the 450 but changed to a CX650 and that's when he said it started underperforming.

I welcome any questions about his components.
The only thing I can think of that would likely cause low fps after a PSU upgrade, would be if the display cable was plugged into the motherboards display output in stead of the GPU, as punkncat asked in their post. If the display cable is not plugged into the RX 6600 XT, the system won't be using it for graphics processing unless the game has a pass-through option.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
One thing not mentioned so far is that the RX 6600XT is a PCIe-4.0 video card, and I believe only uses 8 channels. So it has PCIe-4.0 x 8 communications, but fits in a x 16 length slot. The B450 motherboard would only have PCIe-3.0 speed interface.

Unfortunately I am not too sure how much that would affect the speed ie: frames per second. Someone else on here may know.

For future reference, if you don't know alot about computers (which is most people 😎), you can ask people on here for upgrade suggestions. If you give your approximate budget (how much you have saved up to spend on it) then folks will give their recommendations.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth .... whilst he grumbles about the fact that the more you delve into IT, the more you realize just how much you don't know 🤔😜}

Pci 3.0 on that card isn’t a big deal. There’s a little fps loss but not much. I had an asus for a little while and sold it during the mining but it always performed well.

As someone above said, make sure he’s not plugging into ur motherboard but into the actual card.

Also did he happen to use an nvidia card before? If so he may need to run ddu to make sure the nvidia drivers are completely out.