[SOLVED] Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2 issue regarding USB3 not working properly

May 28, 2020
I was attempting to connect my computer to my Oculus Quest for the new Oculus Link feature to work, but the USB3 ports will not detect the Quest, but still provides power for the Oculus Quest. Was wondering why this is?
Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 TI
CPU: Amd FX(Tm)-8300 Eight-Core-Processor (3.3GHz)
Ram: 16GB (not sure the exact name but know its DDR3 8GBx2)
Both USB ports on the front and the back of the computer are not working for the link, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
I was attempting to connect my computer to my Oculus Quest for the new Oculus Link feature to work, but the USB3 ports will not detect the Quest, but still provides power for the Oculus Quest. Was wondering why this is?
Specs:
Both USB ports on the front and the back of the computer are not working for the link, any help is appreciated. Thanks!
The VIA USB 3.0 controller on the motherboard is not compatible with Oculus rift. You will need to buy a USB 3.0 add-in card. You may want to get one with 3-4 ports with independent controllers for full...
May 28, 2020
my first thought is a driver update
Aye, went into device manager to check if the USB drivers required an update but it didn't, and the others seem to not either, or atleast regarding an automatic update. The drivers on the site of the motherboard seem to be for only windows 7 and below as well

Specs:
The VIA USB 3.0 controller on the motherboard is not compatible with Oculus rift. You will need to buy a USB 3.0 add-in card. You may want to get one with 3-4 ports with independent controllers for full speed USB 3.

Edit - This card is recommended by Oculus staff on their forum. https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

This is a newer version that will likely work too. https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Comp...ional-KT4005/dp/B00JFR2I2C/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Last edited:
Solution
May 28, 2020
The VIA USB 3.0 controller on the motherboard is not compatible with Oculus rift. You will need to buy a USB 3.0 add-in card. You may want to get one with 3-4 ports with independent controllers for full speed USB 3.

Edit - This card is recommended by Oculus staff on their forum. https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

This is a newer version that will likely work too. https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Comp...ional-KT4005/dp/B00JFR2I2C/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
Hi, this fix would be absolutely perfect for me if the extra PCI-E slot wasn't taken up by my GPUs fan, or I believe it is atleast.

Hi, this fix would be absolutely perfect for me if the extra PCI-E slot wasn't taken up by my GPUs fan, or I believe it is atleast.
Well in that case, your only real options are to use USB 2.0 with worse tracking if that even is an option, try to find a PCIe 1x slot flex cable extension that can fit under and flex out of the way of the GPU or get a different motherboard with a PCIE slot above or below a two slot GPU. If you have a mid tower case with 7 expansion slot spaces, you could use a 16x flex cable and put the GPU at the bottom of the case assuming there is space for the GPU and airflow.

Personally I would just get a different motherboard if I were on a very low budget or for around $265-300 get a Ryzen 3 3300X, B450/550 motherboard and 16GB ram to replace the FX 8300.

May 28, 2020
Well in that case, your only real options are to use USB 2.0 with worse tracking if that even is an option, try to find a PCIe 1x slot flex cable extension that can fit under and flex out of the way of the GPU or get a different motherboard with a PCIE slot above or below a two slot GPU. If you have a mid tower case with 7 expansion slot spaces, you could use a 16x flex cable and put the GPU at the bottom of the case assuming there is space for the GPU and airflow.

Personally I would just get a different motherboard if I were on a very low budget or for around $265-300 get a Ryzen 3 3300X, B450/550 motherboard and 16GB ram to replace the FX 8300.
Sadly, USB 3.0 is needed for Oculus Link, regarindg the mid tower case I believe I do have seven expansion slot spaces, what are these 16x flex cables, I haven't heard of them before. The graphics card is currently in the PCI ex16 and PCI ex1 slot at the moment I believe.

Sadly, USB 3.0 is needed for Oculus Link, regarindg the mid tower case I believe I do have seven expansion slot spaces, what are these 16x flex cables, I haven't heard of them before. The graphics card is currently in the PCI ex16 and PCI ex1 slot at the moment I believe.
It's one of these https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Express-PCIe3-0-Flexible-Extension/dp/B01CEKN5VO

The only issue with that is you really need some way to mount the GPU at the bottom of the case. Honestly, the cost of doing this is going to be very close to a used Socket AM3+ motherboard. If you do have a mid tower case, look at getting an ATX motherboard or just try to get a microATX with the PCIE slot above the GPU. Ultimately you may have to just invest in a new a new platform.

May 28, 2020
It's one of these https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Express-PCIe3-0-Flexible-Extension/dp/B01CEKN5VO

The only issue with that is you really need some way to mount the GPU at the bottom of the case. Honestly, the cost of doing this is going to be very close to a used Socket AM3+ motherboard. If you do have a mid tower case, look at getting an ATX motherboard or just try to get a microATX with the PCIE slot above the GPU. Ultimately you may have to just invest in a new a new platform.

Aye, I'm planning to invest soon but currently don't have the money to, but for a short term fix this would be brilliant for me. It seems that there is possible space at the bottom of the case, so this may be the solution I am looking for currently. I did not know these existed. Do you think it's worth a shot before investing further? This seems like it would be a £30-£50 fix I believe.

Aye, I'm planning to invest soon but currently don't have the money to, but for a short term fix this would be brilliant for me. It seems that there is possible space at the bottom of the case, so this may be the solution I am looking for currently. I did not know these existed. Do you think it's worth a shot before investing further? This seems like it would be a £30-£50 fix I believe.
You will need to either buy or make a stand or bracing device to keep the GPU in place unless you lie the case on it's side.

May 28, 2020
I suppose I could lay it on the side, that would work just fine. This is great, thank you.
UPDATE: GPU is working just fine with the new flex cable, add-on card is providing power but is still not detecting my Oculus Quest?
EDIT: Got it working now, just had to delete the VIA host controller to allow the new one to be detected. Issue solved!

Last edited: