Question Gigabyte 797X-Gaming 3 mobo died, what is a decent replacement? (parts in thread)

Apr 16, 2019
Asus GTX 970
i7 (either 4970k or 6700k) 4.0Ghz
2 hard drives
DVD player
WiFi adapter
2 4Gb DDR3 ram sticks (not over 2000Mhz but not sure of the exact speed)
750W psu

Just looking for something that is compatible with all the parts, even better if it works for DDR3 and DDR4 ram because I want to upgrade in the future. Also a massive plus if it is sturdy because I have to travel with my desktop a lot (which is probably why last MB died). Around the same size as the 797X or slightly larger would be ideal.

Thanks for any help its been ages since I had to get a new part and getting a new MB seems pretty daunting.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your 4th gen can use the memory you have, assuming it's not DDR3L
The 6th gen can use that(L) or DDR4 but it's not really apples comparison.

I would probably hop on ebay or the like and see what you can find used and go from there. Good 4th gen mobo are becoming a bear to find.

Apr 16, 2019
Your 4th gen can use the memory you have, assuming it's not DDR3L
The 6th gen can use that(L) or DDR4 but it's not really apples comparison.

I would probably hop on ebay or the like and see what you can find used and go from there. Good 4th gen mobo are becoming a bear to find.

Thanks for the reply, but can I ask what exactly you mean when you refer to the different generation? Is that for the motherboards? Also what is the difference between (L) and normal DDR3 ram? Would the best solution be to upgrade to DDR4 and just get a newer mobo then?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply, but can I ask what exactly you mean when you refer to the different generation? Is that for the motherboards? Also what is the difference between (L) and normal DDR3 ram? Would the best solution be to upgrade to DDR4 and just get a newer mobo then?

The two processors you list are different sockets. They will not go on the same motherboard. And in the same way they require different RAM which cannot be interchanged between the two. With Intel (currently) past the 1st generation the designation #xxx is the generation....IE 6700 is 6th gen, 4970 is 4th gen.

Apr 16, 2019
The two processors you list are different sockets. They will not go on the same motherboard. And in the same way they require different RAM which cannot be interchanged between the two. With Intel (currently) past the 1st generation the designation #xxx is the generation....IE 6700 is 6th gen, 4970 is 4th gen.
Thanks for clarifying!