gigabyte 965p-ds3

Zynergy

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Well i set up everything on my computer, all new parts, went to turn on power supply and well i got a very faint buzz from the power supply, so i thought it was power supply, so i did the paper clip test, and power supply worked, so im guessing my mobo is DOA? any ideas, i can return for refund. Any recommendations for a mobo, under 150$

Shadowkk

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Its not really doa these boards are picky on ram and suffer from voltage drops. If you have more than one stick of ram remove one then boot into bios and up the memory voltage then save reinstall rest of ram and all should be well

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Your PSU might be DOA, a very faint buzz usually indicates a PSU that has been exposed to an electrical storm.

Hopefully your Mainboard and RAM are OK.

But yes, as above, for i965P boards:

1) Install 1st DIMM
2) Cold boot
3) Set VDIMM to 2.0 Volts (or required setting)
4) Save and Exit BIOS
5) Power off
6) Install 2nd DIMM (into dual-channel enabling slot)
7) Cold boot

- This works as some DIMMs need 2.0 Volts and work OK on 1.8 Volts with just one DIMM * but when you try and install 2 x DIMMs that need 2.0+ Volts, and only have 1.8 Volts set in the BIOS the machine might not boot -

*[and just to get into BIOS, don't install OS at 1.8 V if the DIMM requires 2.0+ Volts]

Zynergy

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Yea i tried the whole ram thing, nothing worked, Im just sending it back now, and waiting for new one, thanks though
i know it all works together usually because my friend has exact same setup to the point.

core2

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
on a p4 power supply the paper clip trick wont always work, i have had them fire up but not power the mb brfore, you might borrow another supply and try first before RMA the board