Gigabyte 970 Gaming SLI Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker41NAM

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Maybe I missed something, but it appears to say that you're going to compare it to the MSI 990FXA Gaming, but then none of the graphs appear to have that MB.

pjc6281

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I appreciate your hard work but why are we still reviewing old dog platforms like this. I just got rid of my 1090T AMD Processor from many moons ago and upgraded to a Skylake that uses a fraction of the power and causes less heat. AMD needs to get a new flagship processor out with a better fab process asap....or go belly up.. CMON AMD

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
It's getting to be a very sad time. AMD needs to get back into the game. In a few more years, unless they do, Intel will have a complete monopoly and advances will be minimal at best.

I'm a huge fan of competition in technology. That's the best way for technology to advance.

Krnt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for the reviews, these newly released motherboards for AMD doesn't seem to have anything better in terms of performance compared to the already known boards on the market.

However some of those seem to have good value.

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
The comparison is more from a specification perspective, but feel free to open my MSI article and read that :)

g-unit1111

Titan

I hear that. I want AMD to succeed. Intel needs AMD because competition fuels the tech industry. But AMD just keeps shooting themselves in the foot with one disaster after another. I want Polaris to be good and I want Zen to be good but I'm not holding out much hope after the disastrous release of the RX480.

I take it this is last ditch effort to sale AM3+ motherboards and CPU's before AM4 and Zen launch. During AMD's rx480 steaming event the CEO show cased the ZEN and suggested a launch window of August.

The 970 chipset normally doesn't provide a second x16 PCIe slot; it's x4. SLI requires a minimum of x8; please clarify that this board actually supports SLI in a x8/x8 configuration. Thanks.
Also, when a M.2 drive is installed (of either type), are any other ports/slots disabled?

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
This board drives 16 lanes to the first connector if only the first PCIe x16 is installed The board then switches to an x8/x8 if a card is installed in the 2nd x16 slot. The 970's x4 dedicated lanes go to the M.2 slot. 2 PCIe x1 slots round out the config totaling in 22 PCIe gen 2 lanes available.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5779&dl=1&RWD=0#sp

While the 970 chipset doesn't natively support PCIe lane switching, you'll notice a series of PLX type switches on the board that allow it to go to x8/x8. As for why we are reviewing "old dog" platforms, be are looking at mboards that have recently been updated with USB 3.1 or other new features in addition to the brand spanking new boards that have come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.