[SOLVED] Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 4.0 and RX580 XXX edition running @ pci-e Gen 1.1 and not 2.0

MikePeru99

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
I know this board is old, but it still has pci-express 2.0 slots, Running my GTX770 2GB GPU it ran fine, but i knew i could squeeze a bit more out of it. So i purchase a RX580 XXX edition, 8GB GPU. IT RUNS LIKE CRAP, i lost frame rates, stutters, etc.. even if i over clock the GPU i get no where near the Synthetics / FPS i was getting, After checking, looks like the GTX 770 was running at GEN 2.0 pcie but the RX580 is only running at Gen 1.1 pcie WTH? and i cannot find any way to change this... and yes i have uninstalled re-installed several times, different drivers up and down the chain of drivers, reseated the card, etc, nothing in BIOS allows me to force 2.0 vs 1.1 does anyone out there have any ideas?

CPU AMD FX8370
16GB ram
250 EVO SSD
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 5.0
EVGA 500W 80+
Corsair H100i water cooler
XFX RX580 XXX 8GB edition

Solution

Well, it sounds like it is working. The little render test may not be enough to hold it at 2.0. It only switches when it can't maintain the necessary throughput.
Keep GPU-Z open and run Furmark at max settings. That should max out the GPU all the time. (Run Furmark in a full screen window so you can Alt-Tab to see GPU-Z)

Just for the record, GPU-Z shows my GTX 1070 @ 1.1 also... until I put a load on the card. Then it shows 3.0.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Well, it sounds like it is working. The little render test may not be enough to hold it at 2.0. It only switches when it can't maintain the necessary throughput.
Keep GPU-Z open and run Furmark at max settings. That should max out the GPU all the time. (Run Furmark in a full screen window so you can Alt-Tab to see GPU-Z)

Just for the record, GPU-Z shows my GTX 1070 @ 1.1 also... until I put a load on the card. Then it shows 3.0.

Solution